About 3 years ago my friend Elise invited me to go with a group of her friends on a trip to California. I didn’t know if I should go because I had homework and work but decided I would go to the group planning meeting with her anyway. On May 19th 2009 I met Nate Berrett. I decided I could manage to go on the trip, so the Friday of Memorial Day weekend we took off and headed south. I thought Nate was really cute, so I made sure to be in the same car as him the whole drive down so I could get to know him… That Sunday of the trip he held my hand and kissed me. That would be 3 years ago, today. We eventually came back to Utah and started dating. Our second real date was a double date with Elise and Dain (Nate’s brother) and we went to Outback Steak House. Although I love Outback, I’m not a huge fan of steaks, so I ordered the Alice Springs Chicken. The chicken was amazing and has since become the only thing I ordered there. (Read more of our story here)
We don’t eat at Outback very often, but I love that chicken, so I decided to replicate it at home. I got ideas from this recipe at six sisters stuff.
I look back on that Memorial Day weekend with fond memories and gratitude. That weekend changed my life. Who knew that I would meet the love of my life from that trip, and we would be inseparable ever since?
This chicken is so good, it just might change your life too 😉
Alice Springs Chicken
1/3-1/2 cup mushrooms
3/4-1 cup cheddar jack cheese
bacon (1 piece per piece of chicken)
2-3 chicken breasts (cut in half if they are large like ours were)
1/4 cup honey
1/4 cup mustard
2 tsp onion flakes
2 TBS mayonnaise
2 TBS Dijon mustard
1. Pound chicken breasts to 1/2 inch thickness.
2. Sprinkle all sides of chicken breasts with season salt.
3. Set aside (in the refrigerator).
4. In a small bowl mix all honey mustard ingredients.
5. Cook bacon in a small pan, until crispy. Cut in half when done.
6. Over medium high heat cook chicken in bacon grease. Cook on each side for 3-5, until chicken is golden brown.
7. Move chicken to a greased 9×13 inch pan.
8. Put honey mustard, then mushrooms, then bacon, then cheese on each chicken breast.
9. Bake in an oven preheated to 350 for about 25 minutes.