I’ve found that the best way to keep myself motivated is by making lists. Whether its a list of long term goals to accomplish or a simple check list of day to day things I need to accomplish.
Nate and I decided that by the end of the summer we want to look back and say that we did every single thing we wanted to do over the summer, and be completely satisfied with it. In an effort to keep to that we have made a list of things in the area that we want to do. Of course our list of 41 things might be a little unrealistic, so we also picked our top 6 or 7 things from the list that we want to do. So we can make sure that those things actually get done.
And we actually already crossed one off of my top list by going to Siegfried’s Delicatessen last weekend (I’ll write more about it soon.)
Anyway, another list that I’m slowly (but surely) working on is my Cooking Bucket List. I’ve wanted to try making quinoa (keen-wah) for a while now but not because I’m trying to eat gluten free, organic, or anything (but of course the health benefits don’t hurt – protein, iron, calcium, magnesium!). Its become a popular superfood and I wanted to see what we would think of it, and I’d say our experience was a success. The flavor wasn’t too bitter as I’d heard, and it made for a good starch to add to our dinner burrito bowls.
1 cup quinoa
2 cups water
2 tsp chicken bouillon
How to cook quinoa:
1. Rinse quinoa under cold water in a fine-mesh strainer. Swish it around with your hard while rinsing.
2. Bring 2 cups of water to boil and add Chicken bouillon
3. Once chicken broth is boiling add rinsed quinoa to the chicken broth and cover with a lid. Lower temperature to low.
4. Cook for about 20 minutes.
5. Remove from heat and leave covered for 5 minutes.
6. Fluff with a fork.
Quinoa Burrito Bowl
4 cups quinoa
1 cup shredded chicken (about 1 breast)
1 TBS taco seasoning
1 tsp cumin
1 tsp chili powder
1/2 TBS garlic, minced
1/2 can corn
1/2 can black beans
1. Cook quinoa according to directions above.
2. Combine shredded chicken, taco seasing, cumin, chili powder and garlic in a small bowl.
3. In a bowl layer quinoa, chicken, corn, black beans and then top with whichever additional toppings you’d like.