Once upon a time in a far away land, I had all the time in the world to wander the aisles and racks of my favorite stores. I could window shop and dream to my heart’s content, it was bliss. This week I took the time to bask in that experience again but my wandering was in the condiment and pasta aisles of Target. It was delightful. Who would have thought I found it fun to shop among food. But being a food blogger has brought out this side of me.
During my wanders this time I picked up a box of orecchiette pasta. I had never cooked with orecchiette pasta before and thought I would try it out. I think you will be happy with my choice because it brought about this creation of orecchiette with chicken sausage and asparagus. It is a yummy and colorful pasta dish.
Did you know orecchiette means “little ears”?
Is there another pasta you would like to see either Aimee or I try out for you?
- 6 oz of cooked pasta
- 2 chicken apple sausage (fully cooked - I used Aidells)
- 20 or so spears of asparagus (washed, trimmed, and broken into 2 inch pieces)
- 1 cup green peas (I used frozen peas, slightly thawed)
- 1 clove garlic (minced)
- ⅓ cup basil pesto
- 1 Tbs olive oil
- ½ cup grated Parmesan
- Cook the orecchiette pasta according to directions on the packaging
- In a saute pan add the olive oil and warm over medium low heat
- Saute your minced garlic in the olive oil
- Slice your chicken sausage into ½ inch pieces and add to the olive oil and brown
- Add your asparagus and peas to the garlic and sausage and saute into cooked throughout, just a few minutes
- Drain your pasta
- Add to the saute pan the pasta and basil pesto sauce, stir all together to coat everything with the basil pesto sauce
- Mix in ¼ cup of the Parmesan cheese and let it melt and coat the pasta mixture
- Remove from heat and just before serving sprinkle the remaining Parmesan cheese over your orecchiette pasta and chicken sausage
Enjoy this delicious pasta meal with orecchiette noodles!