A perfect fall salad with crispy apples, sweet pomegranate arils and more, all topped with a honey balsamic vinaigrette!
Juicy, crunchy, hand and face staining pomegranates. Isn’t that what you think of when you think of pomegranates. This amazing pomegranate fall salad is stuffed full of fresh juicy and crunchy pomegranates, apple slices, spinach, lettuce and harvati cheese. Yum!
I also think of fall because that is when pomegranates are in season. They are such a beautiful fruit. Because they are so beautiful you might just choose to use your pomegranate as a decoration in a fall centerpiece but don’t let them intimidate you. I know they can be intimidating. Especially because of their hand and face staining tendencies. Well I hope that after you make and eat this sweet, crunchy pomegranate fall salad that you will want to enjoy pomegranates more often and for more than just a pretty centerpiece.
I have a couple of tips for you to help you retrieve those seeds, with a little experience you can learn to get to those crunchy and juicy seeds with very little staining. Craig and I have done it both these ways. First cut the pomegranate in half on a cutting board. Next submerse a half in water and pull the skin and pulp back to pop the seeds out. You may have to pick a few remaining seeds out. Strain the seeds from the water and now you have lots of crunchy, juice seeds usually without any staining. The other method which I believe Craig is liking even more is after cutting the pomegranate in half hold the fruit cupped in your hand ready to catch the seeds over a bowl and thack the fruit with a wooden spoon several times thumping around in a circle to pop the seeds out.
Now that you have all those yummy seeds let’s build us a pomegranate fall salad. And we’ll top it with an amazing homemade balsamic vinaigrette!
- 2 cups romaine lettuce - torn into bite size
- 1 cup spinach - torn into bite size
- 1 apple - sliced thinly
- ½ cup pomegranate seeds
- 2 slices Havarti cheese - cut into ¼ inch strips
- Tear lettuce and spinach into bite size pieces
- Wash and spin to rinse greens
- Lay greens onto serving plate
- Slice apple thinly and then lay in a circle around the lettuce greens
- Sprinkle pomegranate seeds over salad
- Cut 2 slices of Havarti cheese into ¼ inch strips about 1 inch long each
- Top salad with cheese
- Serve with honey balsamic vinaigrette
Serve with this most delicious honey balsamic vinaigrette
- ½ cup balsamic vinegar
- 2 cloves minced garlic
- ⅓ cup sugar
- 4 TBS olive oil
- 1 TBS honey
- 1 tsp sea salt
- ¼ tsp ground black pepper
- Add all the ingredients in a small bowl
- Whisk together until everything is mixed
- Pour into a salad dressing serving container (or a liquid measuring cup)
- Enjoy over this pomegranate salad or any other green salad with fruit
Are there any other fruits or vegetables that have intimidated you enough to stop you from eating? Let me know and maybe I can discover the best way to prepare it.