I thought it was time for another 5 fact Friday for you. 5 things about my life that I am thinking about on a late Saturday night. These 5 facts all have a health/physical theme about them. Which is kind of ridiculous considering I just about finished off a whole sleeve of graham crackers with milk all by myself.
1) Fact #1 – Over the last 4 years I have lost an average of 35 lbs. It all started when Aimee and Nate got engaged and I decided I was going to lose 10 lbs before they were married. Aimee introduced me to livestrong.com and keeping track of my calories – what I was taking in and what I was burning off really made sense to me and helped me to lose the weight. Once I met my 1st goal of 10 lbs I kept going for another 30 but have since seemingly settled in around the total loss of 35 lbs usually (give or take a good or bad weekend).
(wedding day and down 10 lbs)
2) Fact #2 – 2 years ago Craig and I made a decision to hike to the bottom of the Grand Canyon and out. Out is very important, we couldn’t continue to live at the bottom of the canyon. We spent about a year training with various hikes around southern California in preparation. Some easy and some hard, probably the most difficult was an 8 mile hike down Palomar Mountain and then back up on a 90 degree + day. (I may have got a little delirious from dehydration) But we finally did it on a fine cool day in October 2012, 18 miles round trip down to the Colorado River at the bottom of the Grand Canyon and out in around 13 hours. It was probably the most physically demanding thing I had ever done in my life.
(The Colorado River at the bottom of the Grand Canyon)
3) Fact #3 – While growing up in Shelley, Idaho a favorite summer activity was riding my bicycle all over town and the countryside. Often as a family we rode our bikes together around a 4 mile block. Sometimes that took hours because if friends were outside we would stop and visit. But it wasn’t too unusual to find me taking off on my own bike for a couple of hours, often along the river road just thinking and pedaling.
4) Fact #4 – About a year ago a large tumor was discovered on my ovaries. It was 14 cm in size and partial mass and partial fluid. I had it removed along with all my other female parts just to play it safe. But thankfully I was okay, the tumor was completely benign. I was well taken care of by family and friends of which I will be ever grateful for. If you have any desire to read more about my experience, you can start with over at my personal blog “musing of my mind“.
(Two days after surgery and getting ready to go home)
5) Fact #5 – I can run 3 miles straight as long as it is flat. I started to run this summer, I had never ran before. Craig is a runner and has been all his life. I ran once in high school but the coach kind of recommended after my amazing last place lapped finish I might choose another sport. Slow but steady like a tortoise I am, but I can do it. I started with a complete down hill regiment (Fallbrook is like that if you are not going downhill or uphill you must be standing still) After a couple of months, I found a flat path and now can run 3 miles of it without stopping at a steady 13 minute mile. And I think it is even kind of fun.
(getting ready to run)
Well, there you have it, 5 more facts about me.