I am quite sure cauliflower was not on my list of vegetables that I liked when I was growing up; I am quite sure that list was very, very short. Over the years as an adult I have come to appreciate and even enjoy cauliflower. First, it was raw served with a vegetable dip, then came cauliflower cheese soup, most recently I love it in cauliflower corn tacos; but when I received my 2nd cauliflower with my CSA box I knew I needed to expand my repertoire even more.
I searched and found this recipe for cauliflower carrot mash and thought why not. I added chives and cheese to the original recipe and mashed instead of pureed the vegetables, I wanted my mash a little lumpy. I was luckily enough to use fresh herbs from my CSA box and my garden, so the flavor might change some using dried herbs. You usually use less when you use dried.
1/2 head of cauliflower (washed and broken into florets)
2 medium carrots (peeled and diced)
1/2 small red onion (diced)
1 clove garlic (minced)
1 Tbs fresh rosemary (minced)
1 Tbs fresh thyme (minced)
1 Tbs fresh chives (minced)
1 Tbs olive oil
salt and pepper to taste
1/2 cup to 1 cup grated cheddar cheese
1) Place cauliflower and carrots in a steamer pan, steam for 12 minutes or fork tender
2) Heat olive oil in a sauce pan
3) Add onions, garlic and spices to the sauce pan and saute
4) Drain cauliflower and carrots, put in a bowl and smash/mash to a fairly smooth to slight lumpy consistency (what you believe your family would like)
5) Add onions, garlic, spices and mix
6) Sprinkle cheese on top and gently stir in until cheese is melted.
Enjoy this cheesy vegetable mixture warm!
Yield 4 servings (but we ate double helpings!)