Chicken Wild Rice Soup is a creamy flavorful soup, packed full of carrots, celery, onion, shredded chicken, and a wild rice mix.
This chicken wild rice soup is easy to make, with only 2 pots needed, and ready in about 30-40 minutes! The soup is thick, and hearty, and filling and so delicious!
Utah weather is crazy. This winter has been the weirdest with only a few small snow storms, and only a single day where we even got enough to shovel our driveway our go sledding. It started to get warmer and I was getting geared up for spring when another cold spell struck. I like soup all year long, but especially when its cold outside and big hearty hot bowl of soup is the perfect thing to warm up with.
There isn’t much that is more comforting than a bowl of creamy hot soup, and this chicken wild rice soup is one of my favorites!
This chicken and wild rice soup is made without any pre-packaged foods, no cream of anything soup, or rice-a-roni packages! You’ll need a wild rice blend, yellow onion, carrots, celery, butter, garlic, chicken broth (or make your own with water and bouillon), a mix of herbs, chicken, flour, salt and pepper, milk and heavy cream.
You’ll cook up the rice in a separate pan, and then everything else gets added to a big stock pot (not all together) and then at the end you’ll add in the cooked rice.
Even my 3.5 year old and 11 month old love this soup.
Chicken Wild Rice Soup
- 1 cup uncooked wild rice mix
- 4 TBS butter
- 1 cup chopped yellow onion (1/2 large onion)
- 1 cup diced carrots (3 medium carrots)
- 1 cup diced celery (3 celery stalks)
- 1 TBS minced garlic
- 1/4 cup flour
- 5 cups chicken broth
- 1/2 tsp dried thyme
- 1/2 tsp dried marjoram
- 1/2 tsp dried rosemary
- 1/2 tsp dried sage
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp black pepper
- 3 large chicken breasts
- 1 1/2 cups milk
- 1/2 cup heavy cream
- Prepare rice according to package directions.
- While rice is cooking, in a large pot melt 4 TBS butter over medium heat.
- Add in onion, carrot, and celery. Cook about 4-5 minutes until the onions start to get clear and they all start to get tender.
- Add in minced garlic and cook for 1 minute.
- Add in flour and cook for 1-2 minutes to fully coat the vegetables.
- Slowly add in the chicken broth.
- Add in thyme, marjoram, sage, rosemary, and salt and pepper.
- Increase heat to medium high and bring to a boil.
- Add chicken and cook for 12-15 minutes until chicken is cooked through.
- Remove chicken breasts and set aside.
- Reduce heat to medium low and add in cooked rice.
- Shred chicken into bite sized pieces.
- Add chicken back to the soup.
- Add milk into the pot and whisk into the soup. Cook for about 5 minutes.
- Stir in heavy cream and cook until soup reaches a desired consistency.
- Serve hot.