These chocolate mint surprise cookies are easy to make, they’re only 5 ingredients, with a delicious minty surprise in the center.
I’m sure we’re not alone in this, but we love cookies! One of our favorite cookie recipes is our rolo cookies, with that sweet surprise of the gooey caramel in the center of the delicious chocolate cookie dough. But these chocolate mint surprise cookies are a fun twist on those. Instead of a rolo candy in the middle, you get a peppermint kiss!
Recently our friends invited us over for a hot chocolate party, and we wanted to take a Christmas dessert to share. These chocolate mint surprise cookies were the perfect solution! They’re such a tasty holiday cookie, perfect for a hot chocolate party like we went to, holiday cookie plates, an ugly sweater party, you name it!
The mint kisses melt into a delicious gooey middle in these cookies, and are such a fun surprise when you bite into them! And who doesn’t like mint and chocolate this time of year?
How to make chocolate mint surprise cookies?
These cookies only take 5 ingredients, because the chocolate cookie dough starts with a cake mix. I like to use a Devil’s Food cake mix, but any chocolate cake mix will work. In a medium bowl, you’ll mix your cake mix, and whisk in the eggs, and vegetable oil until they’re fully combined.
Take a small scoop of the cookie dough, flatten it slightly then place the peppermint kiss in the center. Roll the dough into a ball around the kiss, covering the chocolate center completely. You’ll want just enough dough to cover the kiss, so you get lots of minty center to cookie outside.
Then you’ll roll your dough ball into some sugar (kind of like when you roll snickerdoodles into cinnamon sugar). Set them out on a cookie sheet , then continue onto the next cookie.
Then bake the cookies up until the tops are set and the cookie dough starts to crack a little and voila.
To help make the preparation a little easier, before starting step 1 (up there) I like to prepare all the ingredients. Unwrap the peppermint kisses, set them aside in a bowl till they’re needed. Set aside a small bowl of sugar. And prepare your cookie sheet with nonstick spray, or parchment.
These chocolate mint surprise cookies are amazing warm, because the peppermint kiss is gooey and delicious then. But if you have any leftover, you can also microwave them for a few seconds to warm them up. Serve them with a nice cold glass of milk, hot chocolate or peppermint ice cream!
Looking for more Mint Cookies?
- Peppermint Bark Cookies
- Peppermint Kiss Cookies
- Mint Chocolate Chip Cookies
- Peppermint Bark Chocolate Chip Cookies
Connect with Like Mother, Like Daughter
Be sure to follow us on social media, so you never miss a single post!
Chocolate Mint Surprise Cookies
Chocolate Mint Surprise Cookie
- 1 box Devils Food Cake Mix (dry)
- 2 eggs
- 1/3 cup vegetable oil
- 24 peppermint kisses (unwrapped)
- 1/2 cup white sugar
- 1 peppermint candy cane (optional)
- 1 tsp peppermint extract (optional)
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Spray a cookie sheet with nonstick spray, or line with parchment paper.
- Unwrap the peppermint kisses, and set them aside.
- Put sugar in a small bowl.
- (Optional) Crush 1 peppermint candy cane finely, and stir it into the bowl of white sugar
- In a a medium sized bowl combine your cake mix, eggs and vegetable oil (and peppermint extract if desired) and stir together to make a thick cookie batter.
- Take a small bit of dough and flatten it in your hand and put 1 peppermint kiss in the middle. Fold the dough around the kiss and roll into a ball.
- Roll the cookie ball in the sugar and place on a cookie sheet.
- Place about 12 balls on the cookie sheet, each about 2 inches apart.
- Bake for 8-10 minutes, until the tops start to split and the cookies look down.
- Remove the tray from the oven, and let the cookies set on the cookie sheet for 2 minutes. Then remove them to a cooling rack to continue cooling.
Chocolate mint surprise cookies first published on December 13, 2011. Photos updated December 4, 2019.