About 3 years ago my friend Elise invited me to go with a group of her friends on a trip to California. I didn’t know if I should go because I had homework and work but decided I would go to the group planning meeting with her anyway. On May 19th 2009 I met Nate Berrett. I decided I could manage to go on the trip, so the Friday of Memorial Day weekend we took off and headed south. I thought Nate was really cute, so I made sure to be in the same car as him the whole drive down so I could get to know him… That Sunday of the trip he held my hand and kissed me. That would be 3 years ago, today. We eventually came back to Utah and started dating. Our second real date was a double date with Elise and Dain (Nate’s brother) and we went to Outback Steak House. Although I love Outback, I’m not a huge fan of steaks, so I ordered the Alice Springs Chicken. The chicken was amazing and has since become the only thing I ordered there. (Read more of our story here)
We don’t eat at Outback very often, but I love that chicken, so I decided to replicate it at home. I got ideas from this recipe at six sisters stuff.
I look back on that Memorial Day weekend with fond memories and gratitude. That weekend changed my life. Who knew that I would meet the love of my life from that trip, and we would be inseparable ever since?
This chicken is so good, it just might change your life too 😉
Alice Springs Chicken
1/3-1/2 cup mushrooms
3/4-1 cup cheddar jack cheese
bacon (1 piece per piece of chicken)
2-3 chicken breasts (cut in half if they are large like ours were)
1/4 cup honey
1/4 cup mustard
2 tsp onion flakes
2 TBS mayonnaise
2 TBS Dijon mustard
1. Pound chicken breasts to 1/2 inch thickness.
2. Sprinkle all sides of chicken breasts with season salt.
3. Set aside (in the refrigerator).
4. In a small bowl mix all honey mustard ingredients.
5. Cook bacon in a small pan, until crispy. Cut in half when done.
6. Over medium high heat cook chicken in bacon grease. Cook on each side for 3-5, until chicken is golden brown.
7. Move chicken to a greased 9×13 inch pan.
8. Put honey mustard, then mushrooms, then bacon, then cheese on each chicken breast.
9. Bake in an oven preheated to 350 for about 25 minutes.
Yum… that’s my favorite dish at Outback!