These delicious double chocolate caramel cookie bars have two layers of chocolate cookie filled with a gooey caramel layer in the middle.
**This post is written by me on behalf of Arm and Hammer and Gold Medal Flour. All opinions are entirely my own. This shop has been compensated by Acorn Influence, Inc. and its advertiser. All opinions are mine alone. #BestOfBaking
Its getting closer and closer to the holiday season, even though the weather here in Utah doesn’t quite feel like it (and I’m loving how warm it is still!). These double chocolate caramel cookie bars are the perfect holiday treat! And even if you aren’t quite ready for the holidays, these cookie bars are great all seasons of the year too 😉
Now is the time to prepare for all the baking we have to do this holiday season. Plan out the recipes you want to make, and stock up on supplies! Grab some Gold Medal Flour and Arm and Hammer Baking Soda from the Walmart baking aisle to help make sure you’re ready. I always turn to Gold Medal Flour and Arm and Hammer Baking Soda when I’m getting ready for baking because they are brands I trust, with quality products that have been around for over 100 years!
These cookie bars are based on my turtle cookie bars recipe, which is one of my favorites, so I knew that a bar with a chocolate base, instead of the traditional cookie base.
These bars have a chocolate cookie base full of chocolate chips, which is separated in half. The bottom layer is pressed out into the pan and topped with a gooey layer of 2 ingredient caramel. And topped with another layer of cookie dough.
The caramel in the middle gives these bars a super chewy texture, almost like a gooey brownie, or a slightly underdone cookie. You won’t be able to resist.
- 1 cup 2 bars softened butter
- 1 cup brown sugar
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tsp Arm and Hammer Baking Soda
- 2 1/4 - 2 1/2 cups Gold Medal Flour
- 1/2 cup cocoa powder
- 1 1/2 cups milk chocolate chips
For the caramel layer:
- 11 oz soft caramels (unwrapped)
- 3 TBS heavy cream
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
- Line a 9x13 baking dish with foil and coat completely with nonstick spray.
- In a large bowl, beat the butter, brown sugar and white sugar for about 2 minutes, or until light and fluffy.
- Add in the eggs and vanilla, and stir to combine.
- Add in the salt, baking soda, flour and cocoa powder, and mix until just combined.
- Mix in the chocolate chips.
- Press half of the cookie dough evenly into the baking dish.
- Add the caramels and heavy cream in a medium sauce pan over medium heat. Heat caramels, stirring often, until they are creamy.
- Pour caramel sauce over the cookie dough.
- Drop remaining cookie dough over the caramel by the tablespoon.
- Bake bars in the oven for about 30 minutes, until the center is just set.
- Remove bars from the pan with the foil and cut and serve.