Oh my goodness, I have fallen in love with these delicious little things. Fried Green Tomatoes. They are so yummy.
I found this recipe in my Savoring the Seasons with Our Best Bites cookbook. Just a little cook book, that is great to have. Sara and Kate are excellent cooks and bloggers; their tips and recipes are wonderful and I recommend visiting their blog – Our Best Bites.
But back to fried green tomatoes:
Fried Green Tomatoes
3 medium firm green tomatoes (sliced)
1/2 cup all purpose flour
1/2 cup milk
1/2 cup dry Italian bread crumbs
1/2 cup cornmeal (do not, I repeat, do not leave out the cornmeal – this ingredient is key!)
oil for frying
1. Heat a skillet with 1/2 inch oil
2. Place flour in a bowl (these bowls need to have a pretty wide basin to fit several slices of tomatoes at once)
3. Whisk together egg and milk in another bowl
4. Combine bread crumbs, cornmeal, salt, and pepper in another bowl
5. Dip tomatoes in flour, then egg/milk mixture (turning to cover both sides), and finally the bread crumb/cornmeal mixture.
6. Place in a single layer in your skillet and fry on each side until golden brown. Turn only once.
For the Dipping Sauce:
1/2 cup mayo (not Miracle Whip)
1 clove garlic (minced)
1 1/2 tsp minced red onion
2 tsp fresh lemon juice
2 tsp Dijon mustard
1/4 tsp cayenne pepper (this gives quite a kick)
pinch of kosher salt
1. Mix all the ingredients together and serve as dipping sauce for the fried green tomatoes.
Enjoy these fried green tomatoes with this dipping sauce or in this delicious fried green tomato BLT sandwich!