This Funfetti Mug Cake is the perfect way to have a fun dessert just for you, that is ready in just minutes. It’s the perfect dessert when that sweet tooth craving hits.
This Funfetti Mug Cake is a vanilla cake that is full of rainbow sprinkles. The sprinkles sometimes look like confetti, so it can also be called a confetti cake. You can use whatever sprinkles you have on hand, or whatever you prefer. I love colorful sprinkles, and had lots in my collection to choose from.
This is the perfect late night dessert when those cravings strike hard and you need something sweet, but you don’t want to spend too much time making some cookies, or brownies, or a cupcake.
The sprinkle mug cake is deliciously sweet on it’s own, or you can top it with some whipped cream (perfect if you have a can from the store to add a big dollop), or some leftover frosting. It’s great with buttercream frosting, cream cheese frosting, or even a scoop of ice cream on top (because who doesn’t love cake and ice cream?)
This is a quick overview of the ingredients you’ll need for this Funfetti Mug Cake Recipe. Specific measurements and full recipe instructions are in the printable recipe card below.
- all purpose flour
- baking powder
- granulated sugar
- unsalted butter
- vanilla extract
- rainbow sprinkles
How to make a Funfetti Mug Cake?
- Add the flour, sugar, baking powder, and pinch of salt to a microwave safe mug (8 to 12 oz is the best size). Stir them all together with a fork.
- Add in the milk, melted butter, and vanilla extract and stir it together until you have a soft batter, making sure to scrape the bottom and sides of the mug as you stir.
- Add in the sprinkles, and fold them carefully into the batter. Add a few extra sprinkles to the top of the cake if desired.
- Microwave the mug cake for about 60 seconds at full power, or until it has puffed up to be 2 to 3 times in size and the top looks set. The cook time will vary based on different microwaves. Add additional 10 to 15 second increments as needed. Let the cake rest in the microwave for about 1 minute before enjoying. Top with whipped cream, or frosting if desired.
Tips and Tricks:
- Don’t over mix the batter. Mix the ingredients just until everything is combined to keep the cake from being too tough.
- This takes 70-80 seconds to make in my 1000 Watt Microwave.
- If you don’t have a microwave you can bake the mug cake at 350 F for about 10 minutes (just make sure your mug is also oven safe).
- Don’t use a whole egg. I accidentally did this once and it was not good. It was a sponge, and completely inedible.
- If you don’t like sprinkles you can try adding in other mix in ideas. Some delicious ones would be some chocolate chips, chopped nuts, or chopped up candy bar pieces.
- Make this vanilla mug cake dairy free by using a non dairy milk like almond milk, or soy milk and vegetable oil, or coconut oil instead of the butter.
- Make this egg free by adding an extra 1.5 TBS of milk instead of the egg.
This funfetti cake in a mug is a delicious soft, sweet, and rainbow sprinkle filled cake that is the perfect late night dessert to satisfy your sweet craving. It’s quick, easy, and the perfect size for a pick me up!
More mug cake recipes:
Connect with Like Mother, Like Daughter
Be sure to follow us on social media, so you never miss a single post!
Facebook | Instagram | Pinterest | Email
Funfetti Mug Cake
- 1/4 cup all purpose flour
- 2 TBS granulated sugar
- 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1 pinch salt
- 2 TBS unsalted butter (melted)
- 1 egg yolk
- 1 TBS milk
- 1/4 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 TBS rainbow sprinkles
- Add the flour, sugar, baking powder, and salt to a microwave safe mug (that holds at least 10-12oz) and whisk them all together.
- Add in the melted butter, egg yolk, milk, and vanilla extract and stir them into the batter. Make sure to get all the flour on the corners of the mug.
- Add the sprinkles and fold them into the batter. Sprinkle a few extra on top.
- Microwave the mug cake for 60-90 seconds. Start with 1 minute, then microwave in additional 10 second increments until the top looks set.
- Top with whipped cream, or frosting if desired.
Leave a Reply