These Hot Chocolate Muddy Buddies add a fun holiday twist on the classic muddy buddies. These muddy buddies have the same great flavors of a cup of cocoa all wrapped up in a crunchy, chocolatey, cereal treat. It’s perfect for parties and holiday gift giving!
These Hot Chocolate muddy buddies are such a fun twist on muddy buddies that you’ll want to enjoy them all winter long! They’re perfect for the holidays, or even after – with the same great taste of a rich cup of hot cocoa, all wrapped up in a delicious crunchy treat!
Muddy buddies (or puppy chow as you might call it) are one of my favorite treats and this one is such a yummy variation to add to the mix. It’s perfect for snacking on while you watch some holiday movies (Hallmark movies anyone? 😉 ), for serving up at a holiday party, or even for packaging up to give out as a neighbor gift.
These Hot Chocolate Muddy Buddies are perfectly chocolatey, perfectly marshmallowy, and have the perfect taste of a cup of hot cocoa!
Ingredients Needed to make Hot Chocolate Muddy Buddies:
- Rice Chex Cereal
- Bittersweet Chocolate Chips
- Unsalted Butter
- Marshmallow Fluff/Creme
- Hot Cocoa Powder
- Powdered Sugar
- Snow Caps Candy
- Mini Marshmallows
How to make Hot Chocolate Muddy Buddies?
- Add your chocolate chips and butter to a microwave safe bowl and microwave them until you can stir it all together and the chocolate is melted and creamy.
- Then mix the marshmallow fluff into the chocolate.
- Pour the chocolate mixture over the cereal and gently mix it all together until the cereal is coated in the chocolate.
- Add it all to a ziplock bag, and add in the powdered sugar and hot cocoa mix and shake it all up until the chocolate cereal is coated in the powdered sugar and cocoa.
- Pour the mixture out onto a cookie sheet, or some parchment paper. Let the mixture cool for about 30 minutes
- Add the covered cereal, Snow Caps, and mini marshmallows to a bowl and toss them together.
Tips for making Hot Chocolate Muddy Buddies:
- Instead of bittersweet chocolate chips you can also use semi sweet chocolate chips. (You just don’t want to use milk chocolate as the mixture is already very sweet).
- Any brand of hot chocolate powder will work.
- You can add in additional mix ins. Some other fun ones would be holiday sprinkles, peppermint candy pieces, etc.
- Hot chocolate muddy buddies can be stored in an airtight container at room temperature for up to 2 or 3 days. The mini marshmallows start to soften up over time.
- Pour your muddy buddies over a cookie cooling rack (ontop of a cookie sheet) to help the tiny pieces and extra powdered sugar fall away.
These Hot Chocolate Muddy Buddies are the perfect chocolatey treat. They’re perfect for eating during the holidays, especially bundled up with a blanket and watching a cozy movie, and with a cup of cocoa!
More Muddy Buddy Recipes:
Connect with Like Mother, Like Daughter
Be sure to follow us on social media, so you never miss a single post!
Hot Chocolate Muddy Buddies
- 10 cup rice Chex cereal
- 12 oz bittersweet chocolate chips
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter
- 7 oz marshmallow fluff
- 1 cup hot cocoa mix (dry)
- 1.5 cups powdered sugar
- 3.1 oz Snow Caps Candy
- 3 cups mini marshmallows
- Large Mixing Bowl
- Add the chocolate chips and butter to a medium sized microwave safe bowl and microwave in 30 second intervals, stirring after each one, until the chocolate is melted and you can stir it smooth.
- Add in the marshmallow fluff and stir it into the chocolate until fully incorporated.
- Add the Chex cereal to a large bowl.
- Pour the chocolate mixture over the cereal and gently stir it to coat the cereal completely with the mixture.
- Add the cereal to a large gallon sized ziplock bag, and add in the powdered sugar and hot cocoa mix.
- Seal and shake the bag up to cover the cereal completely with the powdered sugar and cocoa mix.
- Place two wire cooling racks each on a large cookie sheet.
- Spread the muddy buddies over the top of the cooling racks to let the chocolate set. Let it cool for about 30 minutes.
- Mix the cooled muddy buddies in a large bowl with the snow cap candies and mini marshmallows.
- Enjoy immediately, or package up for gifts.