1 small onion, chopped
1 1/2 TBS minced garlic
3 TBS curry powder (or more if you want)
1/2 tsp ground cinnamon
1 tsp paprika
1/2 tsp ground ginger
1/2 teaspoon white sugar
salt to taste
2 boneless, skinless chicken breasts – cut into bite-size pieces
2 TBS tomato paste
1 cup plain yogurt
3/4 cup coconut milk
1 TBS lemon juice
1/4 tsp ground red cayenne pepper
1. Heat olive oil in a skillet over medium heat.
2. Saute onion until lightly browned.
3. Stir in garlic, curry, cinnamon, paprika, ginger, sugar and salt.
4. Stir for two minutes.
5. Add chicken, peppers, tomato paste, yogurt, and coconut milk.
6. Bring to a boil.
7. Once boiling, reduce heat and simmer for 20 minutes.
8. Stir in lemon juice and cayenne pepper.
9. Simmer for 5 more minutes.
10. Pour over rice.
This was my first time making curry and it turned out pretty great. Nate kept singing “curry chicken, curry powder” in his best Indian voice, as he was pretty excited for the meal. I was worried that it wouldn’t turn out because Nate said something like “curry never turns out as good when you’re making it from home unless you use curry paste.” Well, I guess this recipe proved him wrong.
Our only complaint is that it was a little too spicy for us. (Both of us drank a lot more water this meal than normal and my nose was even running a little by the end) It still tasted good, but I think next time I make this I might completey cut out the cayenne pepper that is added in the end (Considering I already cut the amount in half). Either way, we’re excited to make this again, and we think we might try it with beef or lamb next time.