One of my guilty pleasure foods is frozen corn dogs. Nate will eat them, but he doesn’t love them as much as I do. So after buying a box from Costco we have had them in our freezer for a long time. We have been trying to clean out our freezer some since there is some food that has been in there a while, ( a lot of it is our frozen leftovers, but also things like frozen fish, chicken strips, and of course corn dogs). Well I’ve been a lot better at planning out meals for each week this year and I decided that along with corn dogs, we should have something as a side. With it being the end of the month, and not wanting to go over our grocery budget (or going over as little as possible), we already had an onion in the fridge I decided to find a recipe and we would fry them both up. Onion rings and corn dogs. Of course its not the healthiest meal we’ve eaten, maybe one of the least healthy, but it sure was delicious. And the onion rings were fairly easy to make up too.
1 cup flour
1 tsp baking powder
1 tsp salt
1/2-1 cup milk, as needed
1 1/2 cups panko bread crumbs
1. Heat oil in a deep fryer to 300 degrees.
2. Cut the onion into 1/4 inch to 1/2 inch slices. Separate the slices and set aside.
3. In a small bowl, combine flour, baking powder and salt.
4. Put onion slices into flour mixture until they are coated, set aside.
5. Stir the egg and milk into the flour mixture.
6. Dip the floured rings into the batter and coat. Place rings on a wire rack.
7. Put panko crumbs in a small bowl. Dip rings one at a time into the panko crumbs and coat all sides evenly.
8. Repeat with remaining rings.
10. Place a few rings at a time into the hot oil. Fry for about 3 minutes until they are a golden brown color. (Flip half way through, or hold them under the oil with a fork)
11. Remove from oil and place on a paper towel.
So, how did it taste? Otherwise all we know is that it looks good.
They tasted like any good onion ring from a hamburger joint or diner. Delicious!