Have I mentioned before that I am a host mom to a foreign exchange student from Italy, Marta. Marta is a very nice, really sweet young lady and we are delighted to have her in our home. We had been bugging her to fix us an authentic Italian dinner and finally convinced her to do so. Marta had received a package from home with 1 kilo of her favorite pasta in the package. This was the icing on the cake so to speak to the convincing because she just had to prepare her own pasta.
It was a simple but delicious recipe, using only a few ingredients.
1/2 kilo pasta fusilli or gemelli or some other pasta with twists and turns so it can hold the sauce (about 1 lb)
1 15 oz. can tomato sauce
1/2 yellow onion sliced but not chopped
1/4 to 1/2 6 oz. jar of pitted Kalamata olives, cut in half lengthwise
1 tsp kosher salt
1) Put a large pot of water on to boil. Once the water is boiling add the pasta and salt. Cook the pasta according to the directions put remove the pasta 1 to 2 minutes earlier than the time given in the directions and drain.
2) In a medium pan, add a couple of TBS of olive oil and heat.
3) Add the sliced onions and saute till soft.
4) Add the tomato sauce to the onions.
5) Add the sliced olives.
6) Add the pasta and mix together.
Leave a Reply