This peppermint puppy chow is such a delicious twist on puppy chow, packed full of the perfect peppermint flavor, white chocolate, candy canes, and m&ms.
This peppermint puppy chow is the perfect holiday twist on traditional puppy chow. It’s bursting with the perfect peppermint flavor in every single bite. With peppermint extract, peppermint candy cane pieces, and m&ms for a little chocolate burst.
*You could also add white peppermint m&ms instead of regular chocolate m&ms for even more peppermint flavor in every bite.
This peppermint puppy chow is one you are not going to stop eating, it’s slightly addictive (but in a good way) and the perfect snack or treat!
The peppermint flavor is just right in this puppy chow, not too strong, not too weak. I added 2 tsp of peppermint extract to my 1 1/2 cups white or vanilla chips. The flavor was light, and intensified just a little overnight to a slightly stronger flavor. Feel free to tweak the amount if you want a stronger or lighter peppermint flavor.
How to microwave white chocolate chips?
You can soften your vanilla chips or white chocolate chips safely in the microwave, you just want to be careful. Microwave the chips in 30 second intervals at half power and stir in between each time. My chips were softened in about a minute and a half, but as you let them sit for a minute they should continue to melt, and as you stir them up they will be smooth.
Also, make sure to add the extract to your chips before heating them up otherwise it could cause your chocolate to seize.
My last tip for you today, is to prepare and pre-measure all your ingredients into bowls before hand so they are ready to go. When you melt the white chocolate chips, and pour it over the chex cereal, everything is ready to mix together without any worry.
Looking for more Peppermint Treats?
Connect with Like Mother, Like Daughter
Be sure to follow us on social media, so you never miss a single post!
Peppermint Puppy Chow
Peppermint Candy Crush Puppy Chow
- 6 cups rice or corn Chex cereal*
- 1/2 cup powdered sugar
- 1 1/2 cup vanilla chips
- 2 tsp peppermint extract
- 1 1/2 cups red, white, and pink M&Ms
- 3/4 cup peppermint candy cane (crushed)
- Large Mixing Bowl
Peppermint Candy Crush Puppy Chow
- Lay out 1 large sheet of parchment paper to set the puppy chow for drying a few minutes after all mixed
- Measure 6 cups of Chex cereal into a large bowl
- Measure 1/2 cup of powdered sugar into a large sealable baggie
- Unwrap 8 to 10 regular size peppermint candy canes, place in a ziploc baggie, crush with a rolling pin ~leaving several 1/8 to 1/4 inch pieces of candy cane. There should be various pieces of candy cane from fine dust to 1/8 inch pieces. Measure into a bowl, crushing more candy canes as needed. **
- Measure M&Ms into a bowl
- In a microwave proof bowl, measure 1 1/2 cups white vanilla chips. Add 2 tsp of peppermint extract. Microwave for 30 seconds at 80% power, stir with a rubber spatula. Repeat up to 2 or 3 more times, stirring in between each cycle. Once most of the chips are melted/softened, stir until all chips are completely smooth.
- Pour and scrape softened vanilla chips over the Chex cereal, mix gently with rubber spatula until all cereal is coated
- Pour all cereal into ziploc baggie with powdered sugar. Seal bag and shake to coat cereal with the powdered sugar.
- Add crushed peppermint candy and M&Ms. Shake to combine.
- Pour onto parchment paper to cool and dry. Store in airtight container up to 1 week.