While I was staying at Aimee and Nate’s and helping them with the new baby I was in the mood for preparing several freezer meals before I go back to California. I really wanted to be useful and hope that when they are eating a pepperoni stromboli and calzone, my time here will be remember with gladness.
So I prepared/assembled a few freezer meals; pepperoni Stromboli and calzones, white chicken lasagna, vegetable lasagna, cheesy beefy macaroni, and sloppy joe meat and sauce. With all those pots and pans being used, sauces simmer, vegetables sauteing, dough rising, cheese grating; the kitchen was hot and messy. It was good to crank out so many meals but next time I might encourage making double batches of everything when the dish is originally cooked.
A couple of items I recommend to have on hand before you start your freezer meal assembly would be foil pans in the various sizes needed, foil (lots of foil), and a marking pen. The marking pen will be used to label all those mysterious foil wrapped dishes in the freezer; you will want to write the name and date. Another great use of the marking pan is to put the cooking instructions right on the foil with the food labels. You can use freezer ziploc baggies too if you have the right size for your meals but I still recommend wrapping everything in foil first.
Pepperoni Stromboli and Calzone
- 1 batch homemade pizza dough use your favorite recipe
- 6 oz tomato sauce or your favorite marinara sauce
- 6 oz sliced pepperoni
- 1 TBS Italian seasoning
- 1/2 tsp garlic salt
- 1/4 tsp onion powder
- 1/4 tsp pepper
- 1/4 large green pepper diced finely
- 1/4 yellow onion diced finely
- 10 black olives sliced
- or your favorite pizza toppings
- 1 cup mozzarella cheese
- 1/2 cup freshly grated Parmesan cheese
- 1 egg white
- 1 TBS water
- a little extra Parmesan cheese and Italian seasoning for sprinkling on top
- Preheat your oven to 425 degrees with your pizza stone inside
- In a small saucepan add your tomato sauce and spices, let simmer on low (if you are using your favorite marinara sauce you can skip this part)
- FOR the stromboli, roll out half of the pizza dough in a rectangle (about 12 inches by 8 inches) on a pizza peel already sprinkled with corn meal and a little flour (to prevent sticking)
- On the pizza dough spread 2 to 3 TBS of your homemade marinara sauce or store-bought over all but 1 1/2 inches of the long side of the dough
- Place your pepperoni and pizza toppings over the sauce
- Spread half of the cheese over the pepperoni and pizza toppings
- In a small bowl, mix the water with the egg white for an egg wash
- On the 1 and 1/2 inch pizza dough with nothing on it lightly spread your egg wash
- Now starting with the side with all the sauce and toppings start to roll up your stromboli longways and tightly
- End with the uncovered dough on the bottom
- Take a sharp serrated knife and make quick slices through the dough about every 2 inch
- Egg wash the top
- Sprinkle with a little more freshly grated Parmesan cheese and Italian seasonings
- Slide off your peel onto the heated pizza stone and bake between 8 to 15 minutes (depending on your oven's true temperature) until dough is cooked throughout and lightly browned
- FOR the calzones, take the other half of the pizza dough and divide into 3 round balls
- Take each ball of dough and roll into an approximately 7 inch circle on the pizza peel
- Spread 1 TBS of marinara sauce on half of each circle leaving 1/2 inch edge
- Top with pepperoni slices, pizza topping, and 1/3 of the remaining cheese over the sauce
- Fold the other half of the dough over to enclose everything and pinch together with your fingers
- Egg wash the top of the dough lightly
- Sprinkle lightly with more Parmesan cheese and Italian seasonings
- Do the same for the other 2 pizza dough circles
- Slide or use a spatula to remove off the pizza peel onto the pizza stone in the oven
- Bake for 8 to 15 minutes until dough is cooked throughout and top is lightly browned
- After both the stromboli and calzones are cooled, wrap in foil, label, and freeze
- To serve, remove from freezer, while stone is heating let stromboli or calzones thaw
- Bake just enough to warm throughout, about 5 minutes
Enjoy these delicious stromboli and calzones!
Wow I really love this recipe. It helped out a lot omg the Stromboli’s and calzones were really good!
I am so glad that you loved this recipe. It is a good one. Thanks for sharing!
Pam from Over the Big Moon says
These look delicious!