Roasted carrots and yellow split peas simmer together to make a creamy delicious soup.
Craig and I are on a quest and this tasty roasted carrot split pea soup is helping us on our quest. You see we have a large supply of canned food goods; such as flour, beans, split peas, vegetables, rice, pasta, etc. Our quest is to prepare meals using this supply, thus the split peas as part of our roasted carrot split pea soup. I am on a few other quests – reducing boxes of “stuff”, eating more fruits and vegetables, and preparing at least 1 new recipe weekly.
Obvious, the canned food supply is part of the boxes of “stuff” in our home. Plus a few more things like pictures, journals, shells, books, toys, holiday supplies. I think you get the idea. It is quite the job because what do you do with pictures and journals? The shells, toys, books (which is another hard one to reduce) are finding homes. I intend to scan the pictures and journals, but then what. The plan is to share these written and illustrated history with the rest of my family, you see most of it is my parents’. It really is quite the undertaking but a worthwhile one.
My other quests are a bit easier, by adding roasted carrots to split pea soup I just used more vegetables in my meal. By combining split peas and roasted carrots I just cooked up a whole new recipe for yours and mine culinary delight – roasted carrot split pea soup.
There are a few preparatory steps to this recipe, roasting the carrots and soaking the split peas. I highly recommend you plan the night before. Set the split peas to soak in a pot or slow cooker to soften. Prepare a double pan of roasted carrots, one for dinner the night before and one for the soup. By doing these two simple but preparatory steps the roasted carrot split pea soup will come together in a snap.
Roasted Carrot Split Pea Soup
- 5 carrots (roasted)
- 1 cup yellow split peas (rinsed)
- 3 cups chicken (or vegetable broth)
- 1 TBS olive oil
- 3 cloves garlic (peeled and diced)
- 1 small yellow onion (chopped largely)
- 1/2 TBS dried rosemary (or 1 TBS fresh rosemary)
- 1/2 TBS dried thyme (or 1 TBS fresh thyme)
- 1 tsp salt (to taste)
- 1/2 tsp pepper (to taste)
- Soak the yellow peas in about 3 cups water until soft, this can be done overnight in a slow cooker on low or 3 to 4 hours on high. Drain
- Over medium heat place a small saucepan
- Add the olive oil, onions, and garlic
- Saute until translucent about 5 minutes, turning every once in a while
- In a blender (or you can use an emulsifier in the slow cooker) put the roasted carrots, split peas, onions, garlic, and 3 cups broth. Blend until smooth.
- Pour back into the slow cooker, add seasonings and herbs, let simmer on low for 4 to 5 hours or until ready to serve
- (This can all be done on the stove top in a large saucepan and let simmer until warmed)
Enjoy this warm, creamy roasted carrot split pea soup with crusty bread for a complete healthy meal on a cool evening.