A refreshing and light southwest chicken salad with avocado dressing, using grilled chicken with rice, black beans, tomatoes, avocado and peppers.
This southwest chicken salad with avocado dressing was prepared using leftover roasted chicken and rice. It is quick, easy and very tasty!
One week ago I had surgery, it was an experience that was uplifting, scary, and unknown. If you want to know more you can read at my personal blog “musings of my mind”. But because I am to take it easy for a few weeks, a delicious dinner of roasted chicken and rice was brought in to our family. Our family is small – just Craig and I – so this good meal has become 2 additional meals and several lunches. We fixed fajitas for one day and this southwest chicken salad a couple of days later.
That is one of the great things about this salad, you can use leftovers or you can use freshly made – your choice. Since I am one always looking for a new way to use leftovers because I don’t want them to feel like leftovers, I love this. One day I hope to be able to perfect serving the “just right” amount of food; that would be a talent but now I am far from that, maybe you have that gift.
You may choose your favorite toppings. I picked rice, corn, tomatoes, black beans, peppers, and black olives. I thought the rice and corn added just the right freshness and made it feel and taste so healthy. Maybe you might want to add cheese or avocados and leave off the olives and tomatoes – I recommend you put out several bowls and let each individual assemble their own salad.
The best topper was the avocado dressing; I really could taste the spices and the freshness of the Greek yogurt but if you don’t like Greek yogurt try sour cream.
Southwest Chicken Salad with Avocado Dressing
- 2 to 3 cups spring mix
- 1 cup sliced grilled chicken breast
- 1 cup canned corn (drained)
- 1 medium tomato (chopped)
- 15 medium black olives (quartered)
- 1 cup cooked white or brown rice
- 1 can black beans (drained)
- 3 Tbs red and orange sweet peppers (sliced)
- 1 small avocado (sliced)
- 1 avocado
- 1/4 cup plain Greek yogurt
- 3 TBS lime juice (fresh squeezed)
- 1 TBS rice vinegar
- 3 TBS vegetable oil
- 3/4 tsp chili powder
- 1/4 tsp cumin
- 1/2 tsp Kosher salt (or sea salt)
- 1/4 tsp black pepper
- 10 cilantro leaves (chopped to 3 TBS)
- 1 - 2 TBS water (optional - to thin as needed)
- On your dinner plate layer spring mix.
- Top the lettuce with the rest of your ingredients in any order you want.
- Drizzle with avocado dressing.
- In a blender or magic bullet: add avocado, yogurt, spices, lime juice, and rice vinegar.
- Blend until smooth
- Drizzle in vegetable oil and blend
- Add water if needed to thin the dressing. *
- Stir in chopped cilantro leaves.
Enjoy this healthy salad as a great way to use up leftovers or freshly made.