Cinnamon Rolls are one of my favorite breakfast options. But another favorite is raspberry sweet rolls. Somehow I’ve gone all the years of my life and have never made my own raspberry sweet rolls though. And I guess technically I still haven’t, because for these sweet rolls I used a bag of frozen mixed berries instead of just raspberries. However if you prefer plain raspberries, or even just strawberries, or just blueberries – you can make that type of roll too. But I made a mixed berry sweet roll. And they were delicious. Trust me. I took them to a family dinner as part of our dessert and the family devoured them. And they even ate them cold. Personally I prefer them hot and fresh or microwaved for about 20 seconds to warm them up.
Anyway, these would be delicious any time of the year, but berries especially remind me of summer and these would be a great Memorial Day or Fourth of July breakfast or brunch or dessert. AND… today is Day #3 of Kick Off to Summer Week. In case you missed it on Monday, this is a multi-blogger event co-host by Lauren of From Gate to Plate and Summer of Summer Scraps. With summer quickly approaching and Memorial Day in a few weeks, we wanted to make sure you had plenty of ideas for your Memorial Day activities. Each day we will be serving up a variety of different Memorial Day centered ideas – from appetizers, main dishes, and desserts, to decor, printables and more.We hope you enjoy all of these wonderful ideas. Tune in for the week, there will be more Memorial Day ideas through Saturday. Follow #KickOffToSummerWeek2014 on Twitter to keep up with all these great ideas and the fun giveaways.
- 1 TBS yeast
- 1 cup milk, warmed
- ⅓ cup sugar
- ½ cup butter (1 stick), softened
- 1 tsp salt
- 2 eggs
- 4 cups flour
- ¼ cup butter, melted
- ⅔ cup sugar
- 1 TBS cornstarch
- 12 oz frozen mixed berries
- 1½ cups powdered sugar
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 6 TBS heavy cream
- ¼ tsp salt
- Dissolve your yeast in the warm milk in a large mixing bowl. Allow to proof for about 5 minutes.
- Add your sugar, butter, salt, eggs and flour and mix everything together.
- Once the dough pulls from the edges of the bowl, knead for about 5 minutes.
- Remove the dough from the bowl and spray the bowl with nonstick spray. Put the dough back in the bowl and cover with a towel.
- Allow to rise for about 1 hour until the dough doubles in size.
- Lightly flour your counter top and roll the dough out to a large rectangle, about ¼ inch thick. About 14x22 inches.
- Preheat your oven to 400 degrees.
- Mix your berries, cornstarch and about 1 TBS of your sugar in a small bowl. Squish your berries with a fork.
- Spread your melted butter over the top of your dough.
- Sprinkle the rest of your sugar over the top of your dough and butter.
- Sprinkle your berry mixture over your dough and spread it around evenly.
- Carefully roll your dough from the top edge to to the bottom edge to form a 22 inch long roll.
- Cut into 1 inch slices.
- Lightly grease a baking pan.
- Place your rolls in the baking pan and bake for about 25 minutes until they turn a light gold color.
- Remove your rolls from the oven and allow them to cool for about 5 minutes before frosting.
- While rolls are cooling, combine your powdered sugar, vanilla, cream and salt in a small bowl. Add a little more powdered sugar if you need it thicker, or a little more cream to thin it out.
- Apply frosting generously to your rolls.
For more great Memorial Day and summer ideas, check out the rest of these #KickOffToSummer2014 ideas! Lemon Honey & Rosemary Grilled Chicken Skewers by From Gate to Plate
Sausage & Veggies Tinfoil Dinner by Summer Scraps
Baked Rosemary Garlic Fries by Keep it Simple, Sweetie
Homemade Natural Bug Spray by The Haas Machine
Memorial Day Festivities by Lil Huckleberries
Corn Cob Jelly by Hezzi-D’s Books and Cooks
Marshmallow Fruit Dip by Forty Eighteen
Trail Mix Oatmeal Cookies by Lady Behind the Curtain
BBQ Invitation Printable by My Daylights
Rhubarb Crisp by Love in the Kitchen
Liberty Embroidery Pattern by Bits of Ivory
Red White and Blue Trifle by We Like to Learn as We Go
Chickpea Tabouli by Food Lust People Love
Dark Chocolate Pistachio Cookies by Life on Food
And we have another great giveaway for you today too.