I always feel like the first day of school shouldn’t be till September has started. But actually most of your kids have probably been in school for like 2 or 3 weeks now, right? These owl cupcakes are so easy to make and would be such a fun treat for your kids to come home to after school. Best parent award ever award – and they don’t even have to know how easy they were for you, unless you have them help you decorate them.
These owl cupcakes can be made with any cupcake recipe, and frosting recipe, I used a chocolate boxed cake mix, and a can of chocolate frosting too. So my owls are brown, but you could probably make white owls, or yellow, or blue, or whatever fun color you want.
Then to decorate your owl cupcakes, you’ll just need some regular sized oreos and some m&ms.
- 1 box cake mix
- eggs, oil, and water as called for on cake mix
- 1 can chocolate frosting (or homemade chocolate frosting)
- brown and orange m&ms or reeses pieces
- Preheat your oven according to your cake mix box.
- Mix together your cake mix, eggs, oil and water in a large bowl.
- Fill a muffin pan with cupcake liners.
- Fill cupcake liners about ⅔ full and bake in preheated oven according to package directions.
- Repeat with additional batter (if you dont have 2 muffin pans)
- Allow cupcakes to cool completely.
- Frost cupcakes with chocolate frosting, using your finger or a knife make little "ears" with the frosting at the top of the cupcakes.
- Open oreos in half and place two of the oreos, with the frosting on the cupcakes.
- Take a little extra frosting on the back of your m&ms and place 1 brown m&m in the middle of each for the eyes.
- Stick one orange m&m in between the oreo eyes (up and down).
- And enjoy!
Make some homemade thin mints with the unfrosted extra Oreo halfs.