Making cobbler in our dutch oven is one of my favorite desserts ever. Its one of the easiest desserts ever, but tastes just as delicious as something that would take a long time. Multiple times we’ve made cobbler in our dutch oven, or personal cobblers in the oven, but we’ve always done it with peaches or pineapple and a yellow cake mix. This time around we had berries and decided it would be a yummy combination with a chocolate cake mix instead.
3 cups mixed berries (you can use, raspberries, blackberries, blueberries, strawberries, etc)*
1/4 cup sugar
Simple Syrup (1 1/3 cups sugar and 2 cups water)**
1 chocolate cake mix
1/2 cup (1 stick) butter
*If you are using strawberries, cut them up into small pieces so they are the same size as the other berries
** Mix sugar and water in a small pot and bring to a boil over medium heat. Boil for 1-2 minutes until the sugar dissolves)
1. Mix 1/4 cup sugar and berries in a small bowl. Allow to sit for 10 minutes.
2, Pour mixed berries and simple syrup into the bottom of your dutch oven.
3. Pour cake mix evenly over the top of the berries.
4. Slice up butter into 1 TBS sections. Place the pieces over the top of the cake mixture separating each piece by an inch or two to cover the whole thing evenly.
5. Put lid on dutch oven.
6. Spread appropriate number of charcoals underneath and on the lid of your dutch oven based on the lid size. (Use 2 more briquettes on the top than your dutch oven is in inches and 2 less on the bottom. For example, for a 12 inch dutch oven use 14 on top and 10 on bottom.) ***
7. Bake for 30 minutes, then check every 5 to 10 minutes to see when cake is completely cooked.
Enjoy topped with ice cream or whipped cream. Yum!
***You can also put your dutch oven in your oven preheated to 350 if you have an indoor dutch oven instead.