These chocolate molten lava cakes are the perfect chocolatey dessert! A soft and rich chocolate cake with a gooey center served hot, and best with ice cream and fresh raspberries on top for a dessert that tastes like restaurant quality, made at home!
I’ve got a couple favorite desserts, but one of them that is definitely right there at the top is a chocolate molten lava cake! There isn’t much better than a hot gooey dessert, especially when its topped with ice cream! I just love the combo of the hot dessert and the cold ice cream as they mix together.
These molten lava cakes are perfection my friends. This recipe makes 4 chocolate cakes, so you can share with your loved ones or friends, or you can cook one or two at a time and save a couple for tomorrow night. (Just place them covered in the fridge for up to 2 nights before baking. Allow to come to room temperature when ready to bake before placing in the oven).
These cakes are super chocolatey, and rich, so one is definitely plenty for one person, but would be great to share with your sweet heart too!
The gooey chocolate center that comes out when you cut into it… its seriously amazing. These are just like you might order at a restaurant, but now you can make them at home whenever you want!
Best served hot with a scoop of vanilla icecream, drizzle of chocolate syrup and fresh raspberries or strawberries on top. I promise you won’t regret it!
Now dig in!
Chocolate Molten Lava Cake
- ½ cup butter (1 stick + extra for buttering ramekins)
- cocoa (for dusting)
- 4 oz semi-sweet baking chocolate (not chocolate chips)
- 6 TBS flour
- 1 cup powdered sugar
- 2 whole eggs
- 2 egg yolks
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- Preheat the oven to 425 degrees.
- Coat 4 - 6 oz ramekins with butter. Dust with cocoa powder and shake to spread it evenly.
- Place butter and chocolate into a medium microwave safe bowl. Microwave for 1 minute, until butter is melted.
- Stir until chocolate is completely melted and mixed in with butter smoothly.
- Whisk together the powdered sugar and flour in a small bowl. Set aside.
- Whisk the eggs and egg yolks together in a small bowl.
- Pour the flour mixture, egg mixture, and vanilla extract into the chocolate mixture.
- Slowly stir together until its all combined. (The batter will be thick)
- Spoon batter evenly into the 4 prepared ramekins.
- Bake on a baking sheet and bake in the preheated oven for 12-14, until the top is solid, but you can see the middle is still wiggly.
- Remove from oven and allow to cool for 1 minute.
- Loosen sides with a knife.
- Cover with an inverted plate and carefully flip over. (Use an oven mitt, they're still hot!)
- Add ice cream, whipped cream, fresh fruit, or chocolate syrup. Serve immediately.