Homemade Chunky Monkey Ice Cream is a creamy banana ice cream full of chopped walnuts and chocolate, that tastes just like Ben and Jerry’s!
I love making homemade ice cream, and I made a homemade banana ice cream with peanut butter before, so this time I decided to try a Chunky Monkey Copycat! Just like Ben and Jerry’s Chunky Monkey Ice Cream, this homemade version is a delicious rich banana ice cream full of chopped walnuts and chopped chocolate.
This banana ice cream is a custard ice cream, which seems really intimidating at first, but it makes it so rich, creamy, and delicious!
Because its custard its made with egg yolks, which are tempered in with the hot heavy cream mixture. Its then blended up with the ripe bananas, slightly brown is best, to give the ice cream that fresh delicious banana flavor. You’ll then mix the ice cream up in your ice cream maker, add in the chocolate and walnuts when its almost done, just so they get folded throughout. The ice cream will be a nice soft serve ice cream consistency. But at this point I like to freeze it up to make it scoopable.
The flavor of the bananas really shines in this ice cream. And its paired perfectly with the crunchy walnuts, and the chocolate pieces. The crunchy pieces balance perfectly with the smooth creamy ice cream.
Anyone else want to dive right in to a big bowl of this right now?
Chunky Monkey Ice Cream
- 2 cups heavy cream
- 2 cups whole milk
- 1 cup sugar
- 5 egg yolks
- 2 ripe bananas
- 1 TBS vanilla extract
- 4 oz semi sweet or bitter chocolate, chopped (about 3/4 cup when chopped)
- 1/2 cup chopped walnuts
- Combine heavy cream, whole milk and sugar in a large stock pot. Heat over medium high heat until your mixture starts to bubble.
- In a large bowl, whisk your egg yolks.
- Slowly pour about 1/2 cup of the cream mixture into your egg yolks, while whisking the mixture vigorously.
- Pour another 1/2 cup, and then another half cup whisking while adding them, and after each addition.
- Pour the egg mixture back into the sauce pan with the remaining cream mixture.
- Continue to heat for about 5 minutes until the mixture is thickened enough to coat the back of a spoon.
- Strain mixture into a large bowl.
- Add about 1 cup of custard to a blender or food processor with the bananas. Puree until smooth.
- Pour back in with the rest of the custard mixture.
- Mix in the vanilla.
- Put the bowl into an ice bath (a larger bowl filled with ice and water) and allow to set to chill for about 10 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Cover bowl with plastic wrap and place in the fridge for about 2 hours, up to overnight.
- Pour mixture into an ice cream maker and mix according to maker instructions.
- Add in chocolate chunks and walnut chunks and allow to mix about 5 minutes until mixed throughout the ice cream. Enjoy now for soft serve ice cream.
- Scoop ice cream into a bread loaf pan and cover with plastic wrap.
- Freeze about 6 hours up to overnight before serving if you want scoopable ice cream.