Your favorite Orange Chicken with a tangy sauce that you can make at home, better than take out.
Recipe Update (3/5/14): We made this orange chicken again and it was so delicious! I updated the recipe based on what we had at home and the chicken was even more delicious than it was before. This is a great homemade/better than takeout orange chicken recipe!
For the chicken:
- 2 chicken breasts
- 3 eggs
- 3/4 cup water
- 3/4 cup flour
- 1/4 cup cornstarch
- 1/4 tsp pepper
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 3 cups panko crumbs
For the sauce:
- 1 cup water
- 3/4 cup orange juice
- 2.5 TBS soy sauce
- 3 TBS rice vinegar
- rind from 1/2 orange
- 1 cup and 3 TBS brown sugar
- 1/8 tsp ground red pepper
- 1/2 tsp ground ginger
- 1/2 tsp minced garlic
- 1/4 cup water
- 2 TBS cornstarch
- Preheat your deep fryer or a large pot filled with oil to 350-375 degrees.
- Cut your chicken into inch sized pieces.
- Prepare 3 separate medium sized bowls for breading your chicken.
- One bowl with your eggs and water, whipped together.
- A second bowl with your flour, cornstarch, pepper and salt mixed together.
- A third bowl with your panko crumbs.
- Dip your pieced of chicken first in your egg and water mixture, then in your flour mixture, back in your egg mixture again and then into your panko. Set aside.
- Cook chicken pieces in your deep fryer for 3-4 minutes until bread crumbs are golden and chicken is fully cooked.
- Remove chicken from oil and place on paper towels to remove some oil.
- Meanwhile combine your water, orange juice, soy sauce, vinegar, brown sguar, orange zest, red pepper, ginger and garlic in a medium sized sauce pan.
- Bring to a boil over medium heat.
- Combine your water and corn starch in a small bowl.
- Pour your corn starch mixture into your sauce.
- Keep the sauce over medium heat, stirring occasionally until desired thickness is reached.
- Pour sauce over chicken (and rice) to serve.