Homemade bread with wheat, oats, and honey; so healthy and good.
Aimee asked a couple of weeks ago what your favorite bread was to make and one of her friends mentioned a honey wheat oat bread. That enticed me and I decided to make a wheat oat bread.
I used the base of Aimee’s homemade white bread but added some wheat flour and old-fashioned oats. I feel like it turned out well, not heavy like a whole wheat but yummy and moist.
Wheat Oat Bread
- 2 Tbs instant yeast
- 3 TBS honey
- 2 1/2 cups warm water*
- 3 Tbs melted butter
- 1 Tbs salt
- 4 cups all purpose white flour
- 2 1/2 cups wheat flour
- 1 - 2 cups old fashioned oats
- In a large bowl stir together honey and yeast
- Add your warm water to the honey and yeast and swirl around to dissolve
- In another large bowl combine white flour, wheat flour, oats, and salt
- Add melted butter to the water/sugar/yeast
- Add 2 cups of flour mixture and stir with a large wooden spoon
- Continue to add flour 1 cup at a time, stirring in to incorporate all the flour between flour additions.
- Continue until all flour is added and incorporated.
- Dump onto a lightly flour mat and knead for 5 minutes.
- Put into a large sprayed bowl and lid, cover for let raise until double about 1 to 2 hours.
- Once double, punch down.
- Spray 2 loaf pans.
- Divide into 2 equal balls and roll into loaf size and place in your pans.
- Cover and let raise until about 1 inch above the top of the pan, about 1 hour.
- While loaves are rising preheat oven to 425 degrees.
- Once loaves have risen enough, lower your oven temperature to 375 and bake bread for 25 minutes.
- At 25 minutes remove loaves and spread butter on the top.
- Place bake in the oven and bake for 5 more minutes.
- Remove from oven and let cool in pan for 5 minutes, then remove from pans and cool on rack.
Enjoy this delicious bread, cut into thick slices, topped with butter and honey or jam!