With the official start of fall yesterday, I figure its the perfect time to start sharing some soup recipes with you guys. I love soup because its so warm and comforting and this corn, ham and potato chowder is no different.
This soup is perfectly hearty, and creamy, flavorful and so delicious. Its stuffed full of all things good, of course including corn, potatoes and ham.
So, now to prepare ourselves for this amazing soup, you’ll need butter, an onion, minced garlic, flour, corn (frozen or whatever – I used canned), potatoes, chicken broth, milk, sour cream, oregano, thyme, and of course your ham. I grabbed everything I needed from Harmon’s Grocery, which is the best because its only half a mile away from my house. And because they sell Boar’s Head meats at their deli. I grabbed a pound of Boar’s Head SmokeMaster™ Black Forest Ham from the deli, and used about half for this soup and half will be for a thick ham sandwich, and if I’m being honest I snacked on some while I was dicing the ham up for this soup.
I love smoked foods, this ham included – whether Nate and I smoke some ribs up at home, or buy smoked cheese from the grocery store (omg yum!) I’ve gotta have it all. If you love smoked foods too, then be sure to enter Boar’s Head Smoke House Rules Sweepstakes for a chance to win a gift card by sharing your rules for creating the perfect smoked recipes here.
Don’t you just want to cuddle up with a blanket and a big bowl of this soup?!
Adapted from this creamy ham potato and corn chowder on Cooking Classy.
- ¼ cup butter
- 1 cup diced yellow onion (1/2 large onion)
- 1½ cups corn (2 15oz cans drained)
- 2 TBS minced garlic
- ¼ cup flour
- 3 cups diced potatoes (3 potatoes)
- 3 cups chicken broth
- 1 tsp oregano
- ½ tsp thyme
- ½ tsp salt, to taste
- ⅛ tsp pepper, to taste
- ½ lb + ½ cup diced Boar’s Head SmokeMaster™ Black Forest Ham
- 2 cups milk
- ½ cup sour cream
- chives for topping
- In a large pot melt your butter over medium heat.
- Add your onion and garlic and saute until clear and tender, about 4-5 minutes.
- Add you corn and stir together, cook for about 2 minutes.
- Add your flour and stir into the vegetables.
- Add in your potatoes, chicken broth, oregano, thyme and salt and pepper.
- Bring mixture to a boil, and cook until potatoes are tender, stirring occasionally for about 15-18 minutes.
- Add in your ham, and milk and cook for another 5 minutes until soup is thickened.
- Meanwhile, saute the half cup of your ham till nice and crispy.
- Remove from heat and stir in your sour cream.
- Serve, and top each bowl with fresh chives and crispy ham pieces.
I was selected for this opportunity as a member of Clever Girls and the content and opinions expressed here are all my own.