This cheesy chicken chowder is a creamy and cheesy soup. It’s packed full of potatoes, sweet corn, and cheese, all in a thick and creamy chowder. It’s perfect for a cold day!
Pin this cheesy chicken chowder for later.
It’s officially soup season, and I’m ready to bring it on! Though if you’re like me you might love this delicious chowder all year long.
This cheesy chicken chowder is a hearty, rich, creamy, cheesy, and flavorful soup that is so delicious! It’s packed full of potatoes, corn, and chicken all wrapped in a creamy base, and is the perfect comfort food
You’ll love the creamy texture of the rich chowder broth, filled with the delicious chunks of summer corn, tender potatoes, and chicken.
I also recommend topping each bowl of chowder with some extra cheddar cheese and crumbled bacon to add some extra crunch and flavor.
This soup is a great option to add to your rotation. You’ll love this creamy chicken corn chowder after a busy day at work or school, or a cold day playing in the snow! I promise it’s a delicious meal that you’ll love feeding your family. And your whole family will love it!
This is a quick overview of the ingredients you’ll need for this Chicken Chowder recipe. Specific measurements and full recipe instructions are in the printable recipe card below.
- butter – helps add flavor and makes the roux for the soup
- onion – adds so much depth to the flavor of the soup
- minced garlic – adds a nice flavor to the soup
- sweet corn – adds a nice light sweetness and flavor to the soup
- all purpose flour – helps thicken the soup
- potatoes – bulks up the soup, making it super hearty
- chicken broth or chicken stock – use a homemade broth, or grab some from the store
- Italian seasoning – to flavor the soup
- salt and black pepper – for flavor
- cooked chicken breast – cook your own, or use your leftover chicken from another meal, this is a great way to use up some leftover rotisserie chicken
- half and half or heavy cream – to make it nice and creamy
- cheddar cheese – to make the soup nice and cheesy, and I recommend some for topping the soup too.
How to make Cheesy Chicken Chowder?
- Melt butter in a large pot over medium-high heat. Add the onion and garlic to the melted butter and cook it for a few minutes until the onions start to get soft and it is all fragrant.
- Stir in the flour until it coats the onion and garlic well and starts to form a paste.
- Then slowly add in the chicken broth and whisk it all together until it’s well combined.
- Add in the potatoes, Italian seasonings and salt and pepper. Bring the mixture to a boil and let it cook until the potatoes are soft and tender.
- Add in the corn, and chicken pieces. Then slowly pour in the half and half and cheese and cook for another few minutes until the soup is hot and thickened a bit.
- Serve each bowl of soup topped with your choice of toppings, and enjoy!
Tips and Tricks:
- You can easily add additional veggies to the chowder. Let them saute for a few minutes with the onions. You can add diced celery, carrots, red bell pepper, or cauliflower.
- If the soup is getting to thick for what you like, add some extra chicken broth to the soup to thin it out.
- If you want your soup to get even thicker you can mash up some of your potato pieces and stir it into the soup.
Frequently Asked Questions:
What to top soup with?
- diced green onions
- diced jalapenos
- crumbled crispy bacon
- sour cream
- shredded cheese
- fresh parsley
How to store leftovers?
This soup can be stored in an airtight container in the fridge for up to 3 days. Reheat any leftovers in a small pot on the stove top over medium heat until smooth and hot throughout.
It’s best not to freeze this soup because of the dairy it won’t thaw well.
What’s the difference between chowder and soup?
Soups and chowders are both liquid mixtures sometimes filled with meat, vegetables, or other ingredients. But chowder is usually made with a creamy base and is made much thicker than soup. Soup is usually a more brothy base and is thinner.
This cheesy chicken chowder is such a yummy creamy soup to eat on a chilly day. It’s heartwarming, hearty, and a meal the whole family will love paired with some rolls, or a yummy hot sandwich.
More Chowder Recipes:
- Creamy Corn Chowder
- Broccoli Cheese Soup
- Clam Chowder // The Chunky Chef
- Lobster Corn Chowder // Coley Cooks
Connect with Like Mother, Like Daughter
Be sure to follow us on social media, so you never miss a single post!
Facebook | Instagram | Pinterest | Email
Cheesy Chicken Chowder
- 1/4 cup butter
- 1 cup diced onion (1/2 large yellow onion)
- 2 TBS minced garlic
- 1/3 cup flour
- 4 cups chicken broth
- 3 cups diced potatoes (2-3 potatoes)
- 1/2 TBS Italian seasoning
- 1 tsp salt (to taste)
- 1/4 tsp pepper (to taste)
- 3 cups cooked chicken (diced or shredded)
- 3 cups corn (2 15oz cans drained)
- 1 1/2 cups half and half
- 1 cup shredded cheddar cheese
For Topping: (Optional)
- crumbled bacon
- diced green onions
- shredded cheddar cheese
- In a large pot melt the butter over medium heat.
- Add the onion and garlic and sauté until the onion is tender, about 4-5 minutes.
- Add the flour and stir it to coat the onion and garlic evenly and cook it for about 2 minutes.
- Slowly pour in the chicken broth and whisk it all together until it's combined.
- Add in the diced potatoes, Italian seasonings, and salt and pepper. Bring the mixture to a boil and cook until the potatoes are tender, stirring occasionally. About 15 minutes.
- Add in the corn, and chicken.
- Slowly pour in the half and half, and add the cheese and cook for about 5 minutes until the cheese is melted throughout, and the soup is thickened slightly.
- Serve each bowl of soup hot topped with your choice of toppings.
This cheesy chicken chowder was first posted on January 11, 2016. The photos and text were updated on January 27, 2023.
This delicious chicken chowder was originally sponsored by College Inn Broth as part of TapInfluence Network.
College Inn broths have been around for almost 100 years and they only use the highest quality ingredients to make their broth. Don’t forget to follow them on Facebook, Twitter and Pinterest for more great recipe ideas! College Inn encourages home cooks to POUR LOVE INN, because they are showing they care with great home-style flavors and ingredients! And we know we want love poured “inn” to every meal our families eat.
This is a sponsored conversation written by me on behalf of College Inn Broth . The opinions and text are all mine.
If you like this chicken chowder soup, you’ll like these too:
Leave a Reply