This cheesy chicken chowder is a creamy and cheesy soup. It’s packed full of potatoes, sweet corn, and cheese, all in a thick and creamy chowder. It’s perfect for a cold day!
It’s almost officially soup season, and I’m ready to bring it on! Though if you’re like me you might love this hearty chowder all year long.
This cheesy chicken chowder is a hearty, rich, creamy, cheesy, and flavorful soup that is so delicious! It’s packed full of potatoes, corn, and chicken all wrapped in a creamy base.
You’ll love the creamy texture of the rich chowder broth, filled with the delicious chunks of summer corn, tender potatoes, and chicken.
I also recommend topping each bowl of chowder with some extra cheddar cheese and crumbled bacon to add some extra crunch and flavor.
This soup is a great option to add to your rotation. You’ll love this creamy chicken corn chowder after a busy day at work or school, or a cold day playing in the snow! I promise it’s a delicious meal that you’ll love feeding your family. And your whole family will love it!
- minced garlic
- sweet corn
- all purpose flour
- chicken broth or chicken stock
- Italian seasoning
- salt and black pepper
- chicken breasts
- half and half or heavy cream
- cheddar cheese
How to make Cheesy Chicken Chowder?
- Melt butter in a large stock pot over medium-high heat. Add the onion and garlic to the melted butter and cook it for a few minutes until the onions start to get soft and it is all fragrant.
- Stir in the flour until it coats the onion and garlic well and starts to form a paste. Then slowly add in the chicken broth and whisk it all together until it’s well combined.
- Add in the potatoes, Italian seasonings and salt and pepper. Bring the mixture to a boil and let it cook until the potatoes are soft and tender.
- Add in the corn, and chicken pieces. Then slowly pour in the half and half and cheese and cook for another few minutes until the soup is hot and thickened a bit.
- Serve each bowl of soup topped with your choice of toppings, and enjoy!
Tips and Tricks:
- You can easily add additional veggies to the chowder. Let them saute for a few minutes with the onions. You can add diced celery, carrots, red bell pepper, or cauliflower.
- If the soup is getting to thick for what you like, add some extra chicken broth to the soup to thin it out.
- If you want your soup to get thicker you can mash up some of your potato pieces and stir it into the soup.
Frequently Asked Questions:
What to top soup with?
- diced green onions
- diced jalapenos
- crumbled crispy bacon
- sour cream
- shredded cheese
How to store leftovers?
This soup can be stored in an airtight container in the fridge for up to 3 days. Reheat any leftovers in a small pot on the stove top over medium heat until smooth and hot throughout.
It’s best not to freeze this soup because of the dairy it won’t thaw well.
More Chowder Recipes:
- Creamy Corn Chowder
- Broccoli Cheese Soup
- Clam Chowder // The Chunky Chef
- Lobster Corn Chowder // Coley Cooks
Cheesy Chicken Chowder
- 1/4 cup butter
- 1 cup diced onion (1/2 large yellow onion)
- 2 TBS minced garlic
- 1/3 cup flour
- 4 cups chicken broth
- 3 cups diced potatoes (2-3 potatoes)
- 1/2 TBS Italian seasoning
- 1 tsp salt (to taste)
- 1/4 tsp pepper (to taste)
- 3 cups cooked chicken (diced or shredded)
- 3 cups corn (2 15oz cans drained)
- 1 1/2 cups half and half
- 1 cup shredded cheddar cheese
For Topping: (Optional)
- crumbled bacon
- diced green onions
- shredded cheddar cheese
- In a large pot melt the butter over medium heat.
- Add the onion and garlic and sauté until the onion is tender, about 4-5 minutes.
- Add the flour and stir it to coat the onion and garlic evenly and cook it for about 2 minutes.
- Slowly pour in the chicken broth and whisk it all together until it's combined.
- Add in the diced potatoes, Italian seasonings, and salt and pepper. Bring the mixture to a boil and cook until the potatoes are tender, stirring occasionally. About 15 minutes.
- Add in the corn, and chicken.
- Slowly pour in the half and half, and add the cheese and cook for about 5 minutes until the cheese is melted throughout, and the soup is thickened slightly.
- Serve each bowl of soup hot topped with your choice of toppings.
This delicious chicken chowder was originally sponsored by College Inn Broth as part of TapInfluence Network.
College Inn broths have been around for almost 100 years and they only use the highest quality ingredients to make their broth. Don’t forget to follow them on Facebook, Twitter and Pinterest for more great recipe ideas! College Inn encourages home cooks to POUR LOVE INN, because they are showing they care with great home-style flavors and ingredients! And we know we want love poured “inn” to every meal our families eat.
This is a sponsored conversation written by me on behalf of College Inn Broth . The opinions and text are all mine.
If you like this chicken chowder soup, you’ll like these too: