This amazing oriental chicken salad is packed full of spring mix lettuce, grilled marinated chicken, mandarin oranges, sliced bell peppers, toasted cashews, cilantro, and crispy wontons all topped with a delicious honey ginger soy dressing! This salad will quickly become your new favorite!
A while back I went to a restaurant called Blue Lemon, I ordered their oriental salad and it was phenomenal! Since then I’ve been wanting to make my own version at home, I finally got around to it this week and it was perfection! Now, I don’t know if this tastes just like the version at Blue Lemon, but I do know its delicious and its packed full of so many good ingredients. How could it go wrong?
This oriental chicken salad is packed full of spring mix lettuce, marinated and grilled chicken, mandarin oranges, sliced bell peppers, toasted cashews, cilantro, and crispy wontons; all topped with an amazing honey ginger soy dressing!
The salad is a little time consuming to make if you’re preparing all the ingredients yourself (but I promise the end result is worth it!). If you want to be able to throw it together when the time comes to serving it up, I recommend prepping some of your ingredients, and your salad dressing the night before. The salad dressing is especially delicious after sitting in the fridge over night because it gives the ingredients extra time to mull together.
You can also toast your cashews, slice your carrots and bell peppers, and even fry up your wonton strips the night before too (or you can buy them from the store! Find them near croutons). The chicken is great warm on the salad or cold, so you can cook it up before the salad is ready or right when you are doing the finishing touches and throwing all the ingredients for the salad together. The chicken is marinated for about an hour (or overnight) in some of the dressing to give it such a rich and delicious flavor. Grill it up (or saute it) and then slice it up and its ready to go!
This salad is so loaded full of goodness, even my husband was a fan – and he’s not even a salad person. Its one of those salads that has so many good ingredients you kind of forget about the lettuce even being there. But you won’t mind having the lettuce because you can douse it in the honey ginger soy dressing, which I promise is a great idea!
- 2 TBS minced fresh ginger
- 2 TBS minced garlic
- ⅓ cup sesame oil
- ⅓ cup olive oil
- ½ cup soy sauce
- ⅓ cup rice vinegar
- ¼ cup honey
- ¼ cup water
- 6 cups spring mix lettuce
- 2 cups baby spinach
- 2-3 large chicken breast
- 1 cup thinly sliced carrots
- 1 cup mandarin oranges
- 1 cup sliced red and green bell pepper
- ½ cup cashews
- ¼ cup chopped cilantro
- 1 cup wonton strips
- Combine all the ingredients for your honey ginger soy dressing in a small (about 1 pint) glass jar. Stir together.
- Microwave for 1 minute to allow the honey to dissolve and stir again.
- Cover and place in fridge to cool before serving.
- Shake before serving.
- Marinate your chicken in ½ cup of your honey ginger soy dressing for about 1 hour.
- Cook on the grill, or in saute pan until chicken is cooked throughout (165 degrees!)
- Slice chicken and set aside.
- Heat your cashews in a small saute pan over medium heat for about 5 minutes until they start to turn a nice golden brown color. Remove from heat and set aside.
- Heat about 1 inch of vegetable (or canola) oil in a small pan over medium high heat.
- Place a few wonton strips in the pan at a time to fry on both sides, remove from heat and place on a paper towel to get excess oil off.
- Place lettuce in a large bowl, top with chicken, carrots, mandarins, bell peppers. Toss together.
- Pour dressing over the top and toss.
- Top each individual plate with cashews, cilantro and wonton strips.