This Thai chicken salad is fully of leafy lettuce topped with grilled chicken, lots of veggies, and topped with a creamy peanut dressing, and crunchy wonton strips.
This Thai Chicken Salad is full of fresh ingredients, like grilled chicken, red bell pepper, cucumber, and carrots, all covered in a sweet peanut dressing. It’s finished with some crunchy wonton strips, and peanuts.
Salads have come a long way from being mere boring side dishes, or diet options. They have evolved into a vibrant and satisfying meal. This crunchy Thai chicken salad is a delicious one to add to the mix. It’s got a mix of textures, and flavors that you will just love.
The best part of this salad is the irresistible homemade sweet peanut dressing. It adds such a great depth to the salad, with the creaminess of the dressing, and a lightly sweet, and nutty flavor in every bite. It’s the perfect complement to the savory grilled chicken and veggies in this salad.
This is a quick overview of the ingredients you’ll need for this Thai Chicken Salad Recipe. Specific measurements and full recipe instructions are in the printable recipe card below.
How to make Thai Chicken Salad?
- Prepare the chicken by dicing up your chicken, or grilling up some chicken breasts or chicken thighs. Season a little with salt and pepper, and cook the chicken until it reaches an internal temperature of 165 F. Set it aside for a few minutes and dice it into pieces.
- Add the ingredients for the dressing to a blender or food processor and mix until smooth and combined. Add more water if the dressing is too thick to pour, or for your liking.
- Add the salad greens, prepared chicken, red pepper, cucumber, and carrots to a large mixing bowl and toss them together.
- Pour the dressing evenly over the large salad, or serve individual portions and add dressing individually. Garnish salad with wonton strips, roasted peanuts, and fresh cilantro and enjoy!
Tips and Tricks:
- This is a great way to use up leftover chicken, or grab a rotisserie chicken for a few meals and use some up for this salad.
- Or for an extra burst of flavor, marinate the chicken in a mix of lime juice, soy sauce, and ginger for about 30 minutes then grill it up.
- Add a variety of other veggies or fruit to make this salad extra loaded. Some good options would be snow peas, broccoli, radishes, mandarin oranges, or mango slices, or garnish with some sliced green onions..
- Substitute your favorite protein alternative. Try tofu for a vegetarian option, grilled shrimp, or steak would be delicious too.
Frequently Asked Questions:
Can I make this dressing in advance?
Yes, you can prepare the dressing ahead of time and refrigerate it in an airtight container for up to 3 days. Give it a good stir incase any parts have settled before adding it to the salads.
Can I use pre-cooked chicken?
Yes, in fact we don’t actually tell you how to cook the chicken for this salad, so use whatever leftover cooked chicken you have already. Grab a rotisserie chicken and use half for this salad, and enjoy half for another meal. Or grill, saute, bake your chicken to your hearts content.
Is Thai Chicken Salad a healthy salad option?
This salad is a fairly healthy option, especially when it’s made with fresh, nutrient rich ingredients. It’s packed with vegetables, and lean protein. If you’re watch your calories, add a little less dressing to your individual portions.
Really, this is a salad that even salad haters would love. The combination of tender chicken, crunchy veggies, and leafy greens all tossed in a sweet, nutty dressing is a mix you won’t want to miss. It’s the perfect flavorful salad for a quick lunch, lighter dinner – or for sharing at your next summer gathering.
Thai Chicken Salad with Sweet Peanut Sauce
For the Sweet Peanut Sauce:
- 1/2 cup creamy peanut butter
- 2 TBS rice vinegar
- 2 TBS soy sauce
- 1 TBS lime juice
- 1 TBS honey
- 1 tsp minced fresh ginger
- 1 dash red pepper flakes
- 2-4 TBS water (add more if it gets too thick)
For the Salad:
- 4 cups chopped romaine lettuce
- 2 cups chopped cabbage
- 2 cups diced or shredded cooked chicken
- 1 red bell pepper chopped
- 1 cup English cucumber sliced, and cut in halves
- 1 cup julienned carrots
- 1/2 cup wonton strips
- 1/2 cup roasted peanuts (optional)
- 1/2 cup fresh cilantro (chopped)
- Large Mixing Bowl
For the Sweet Peanut Sauce:
- Combine all the ingredients in a blender or food processor and mix until they are smooth.
- Start with 2 TBS of water and add more until it reaches the desired consistency.
For the Salad:
- Combine all the salad ingredients into a large bowl and toss them together.
- Top the salad, or individual servings with desired amount of peanut dressing. Add garnishes on top.
This Thai Chicken Salad was first posted on January 24, 2014. The photos and blog text were updated on July 26, 2023 for clarity.