These oatmeal raisin cookies are soft and chewy, full of raisins and old fashioned oats, flavored with vanilla and cinnamon for one of the best cookies there is!
Oatmeal raisin cookies will always be my favorite. I love all cookies. I think even my pinterest board “Cookie Monster” has the most pins than any other board. But my all time favorite cookie – the basic – oatmeal raisin cookie.
I can’t believe we haven’t shared an oatmeal raisin cookie recipe with you before. The other thing I can’t believe is that my 6 year old granddaughter Z has never baked oatmeal raisin cookies before. So I thought making and baking these would be the perfect after school activity. It was.
I had gathered all my ingredients on the counter and we started to measure, add, and mix. Z was great at measuring and adding, pretty good at mixing, and really good at tasting. I did my part with giving instructions, mixing when it was a little too much for Z, and double checking to make sure the measurements were just right plus dealing with the hot oven.
J, the 18 month old, even jumped in with dumping an ingredient or two but mostly he was really good at eating the raisins and the freshly baked oatmeal raisin cookie.
Everyone else did their part by eating the cookies. I think we will have to do this again.
- ¼ cup butter (melted and cooled)
- ¼ cup shortening
- ¾ cup white sugar
- ¾ cup brown sugar
- 1 TBS vanilla
- 2 eggs
- 1 cup flour
- ½ tsp baking soda
- ½ tsp baking powder
- ¼ tsp salt
- 2 tsp cinnamon
- 2¾ cup old fashioned oats
- 1 cup raisins
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees
- Grease cookie sheets lightly with cooking spray
- In a large mixing bowl; add the melted butter, shortening, and sugars - mix together
- Whisk in the 2 eggs and vanilla
- Add flour, baking soda, baking powder, salt, and cinnamon; mix together, scraping down sides to get all the flour
- Add in oats and mix
- Add raisins and mix until spread evenly throughout batter
- Spoon onto cookie sheet
- Bake for 10 minutes
- Let cool on cookie sheet for 2 minutes, remove to cooling rack
What makes these oatmeal raisin cookies better – 1 tablespoon of vanilla and 2 teaspoons of cinnamon – for a lot more flavor.
I hope they become a favorite of yours too.