This Ambrosia Salad is a creamy fruit salad that is so easy to make, and so delicious, it’s practically dessert. It’s a perfect side dish for a summer bbq, holiday dinner, or any day of the year.
Ambrosia salad is a delicious fruit salad, made with a variety of fruit, all covered in a creamy lightly sweetened mixture. It’s a classic southern recipe, that is often served at Thanksgiving or Christmas, but I love serving it in the spring or summer time too!
It’s made with mostly canned fruit so you don’t need to worry about getting fresh fruit, which makes it perfect for serving even in the winter when it’s harder to get your hands on good ripe pineapples and oranges.
It’s loaded with pineapple, mandarin oranges, maraschino cherries, grapes, shredded coconut, and marshmallows and covered in a sweet and tangy whipped cream!
Ingredients for Ambrosia Salad:
- heavy cream
- powdered sugar
- vanilla extract
- sour cream
- canned pineapple
- mandarin oranges
- maraschino cherries
- green grapes
- shredded coconut
- mini marshmallows
How to make Ambrosia Salad?
You’ll need to whip up the heavy cream, powdered sugar, and vanilla extract in a large bowl. You can use a hand mix, or your stand mixer, and whip them together till you have nice and stiff peaks. Then carefully the sour cream into the mixture, gently blending it together evenly, but making sure to keep the stiffness of the whipped cream.
Then add in the marshmallows, and all the fruit (make sure all the cans are drained of liquid). Fold the fruit into the creamy mixture carefully to cover it completely and evenly.
Cover the bowl and place the salad in the fridge to chill for at least 4 hours, up to overnight.
Tips for making Ambrosia Salad:
- The salad tastes best when the flavors are allowed to meddle in the fridge together for at least a few hours, up to over night. It’s a great make ahead option because it actually tastes best after sitting in the fridge, so make it the day before serving if needed.
- If you have any leftovers, the ambrosia salad can be stored in the fridge for up to 3 days in an airtight container.
- You can customize what fruit you mix into the salad based on your tastes. Some other fruit options that would be yummy to add in are bananas, or strawberries.
- You can also add in chopped pecans or walnuts to add a nice crunch to the salad.
- You can use rainbow (fruity) or plain mini marshmallows in the salad.
- If you don’t want to make your own whipped cream, you can substitute cool whip instead. You’ll need about 2 cups of cool whip, which is about 5.3 oz of cool whip.
This ambrosia salad is such a yummy fruit salad recipe, that is good enough you can eat it for dessert. Since it’s approved as a side dish, you’ll want it to eat alongside your favorite dinner dishes any day of the year!
Looking for more sweet side dish recipes?
Connect with Like Mother, Like Daughter
Be sure to follow us on social media, so you never miss a single post!
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 1/4 cup powdered sugar
- 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- 1 cup sweetened shredded coconut
- 16 oz maraschino cherries
- 20 oz pineapple chunks (drained)
- 15 oz mandarin oranges (drained)
- 1 cup green grapes (cut in half)
- 4 cups mini marshmallows
- In a stand mixer, or with a bowl and hand mixer, whip the heavy cream, sugar, and vanilla extract together over high speed until stiff peaks are formed.
- Carefully fold the sour cream into the whipped cream.
- Add the mini marshmallows, shredded coconut, cherries, pineapple, and oranges into the bowl with the whipped cream. Carefully fold them together to cover the fruit and marshmallows in the cream evenly.
- Cover the bowl and place the fruit salad in the fridge for at least 4 hours, up to overnight.