This White Texas Sheet Cake is a delicious moist vanilla sheet cake that is topped with an amazing icing, its a great dessert for a crowd.
This white Texas sheet cake is a white cake version of a traditional chocolate Texas sheet cake. Instead of a chocolate cake, it’s a basic buttery vanilla cake, that is moist, sweet, and so delicious. I love this “white” sheet cake version maybe even more than a traditional Texas sheet cake, but I’ll be sharing a yummy recipe for that hopefully in the next few weeks.
It’s one of my new favorite cake recipes, and it’s so easy to make too! It’s perfect for baking up before a party, or potluck because it’s so simple to make, ready to eat in a couple hours, and makes a lot of cake!
Tips for making a white sheet cake:
- If you don’t have a jelly roll pan (10x15inches) you can bake this cake in a half baking sheet pan (13x18inches) instead. The cake will be thinner since the pan is larger, so the baking time will be less. I’d check it after about 15 minutes, bake the cake until a toothpick comes out clean.
- The cake can also be baked in a 9×13 pan. This will make it more of a traditional cake shape and size, instead of a sheet cake, so it won’t serve as many people, and you may have some extra icing. The cake should bake for about 30-35 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted in the middle comes out clean (or mostly clean – a few crumbs are okay)
- The cake is delicious just topped with the icing as called for, but you can also add a variety of toppings on the icing. A popular choice is to sprinkle chopped walnuts over the top, but you could also add coconut (toasted or not), or sprinkles.
- If you like almond extract you can substitute that for the vanilla extract, or do a mixture of half and half in both the cake and the icing recipes.
- This white Texas sheet cake can be stored at room temperature for two to three days, covered with plastic wrap, or a lid. The cake can also be made even more ahead of time as needed, by wrapping it in plastic wrap then in aluminum foil, then freezing for up to 2 months. You can also wrap individual slices. When you’re ready to enjoy the cake, thaw at room temperature overnight.
How to make a White Texas Sheet Cake?
Similar to the chocolate version of this cake, this White Texas Sheet Cake starts with boiling the water and butter together in a medium sauce pan. In a separate bowl you’ll combine your flour, sugar, baking soda, and salt. Then when the butter is boiling you’ll pour the melted butter into the flour mixture and stir it all together. Then stir in the eggs, sour cream, and vanilla extract. Stir till just combined.
Pour the batter into a jelly roll pan that was sprayed with nonstick spray. Bake until the top is lightly golden and a toothpick can be inserted and comes out clean (or a few crumbs are okay). Let the cake cool for about 10 minutes while you prepare the icing.
For the icing you’ll start with boiling the milk and butter together. Then pour the melted butter mixture over the powdered sugar and vanilla extract and stir it all together till you have a nice thin icing. Pour the icing over the warm cake and spread it evenly to the edges of the cake. Allow the cake to cool, till the frosting is set then slice and serve it up. Mmm.
This cake is sweet, moist, fluffy, and so delicious. It’s thin, and topped with the best vanilla icing. It practically melts in your mouth, it’s that good. It’s the perfect cake for a party, or a summer barbecue with family and friends.
Looking for more sheet cake recipes?
- Chocolate Texas Sheet Cake
- Lemon Texas Sheet Cake on Five Heart Home
- German Chocolate Sheet Cake on Chef In Training
- Cinnamon Roll Sheet Cake on Oh Sweet Basil
More Favorites from Like Mother, Like Daughter
Connect with Like Mother, Like Daughter
Be sure to follow us on social media, so you never miss a single post!
White Texas Sheet Cake
- 1 cup butter
- 1 cup water
- 2 cups flour
- 2 cups granulated sugar
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 2 Large Eggs
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
For the Frosting:
- 1/2 cup butter
- 1/3 cup milk
- 4 cups powdered sugar
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- Large Mixing Bowl
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Spray a jelly roll pan (15x10inches) with nonstick spray.
- In a large bowl combine the flour, sugar, baking soda and salt. Whisk together.
- Add your butter and water to a sauce pan and bring to a boil over medium high heat.
- Remove from heat and pour into the flour mixture. Stir until combined.
- Add in the eggs, sour cream, and vanilla extract and stir it all together.
- Pour cake batter into the prepared pan.
- Bake the cake for 18-23 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean (a few crumbs are okay).
- Cool the pan for 20 minutes.
For the Frosting:
- Add your butter and milk to a medium sauce pan and cook over low heat until the butter melts.
- Raise temperature to a medium heat and bring to a boil.
- Add the powdered sugar and vanilla extract to a bowl.
- Pour the melted butter mixture over the powdered sugar, and whisk together till nice and smooth.
- Pour frosting over the warm cake.
- Allow to cool completely before slicing and serving.