A baked omelet filled with your favorite omelet goodies like onions, peppers, tomatoes, and cheese
What do you make for dinner when you can’t decide or think of what to make for dinner. How about a baked omelet that pretty much takes care of itself? This was perfect for dinner tonight because with just a minimum amount of preparation I had dinner in the oven baking within minutes and then dinner basically took care of itself.
This baked omelet was filled with almost everything you need for a balanced meal too; it had double the protein with eggs and bacon, dairy with cheese, and was filled with vegetables with the roasted tomatoes, green peppers, onions, and mushrooms. Craig and I completed the meal with orange juice- fruit and a couple of reheated frozen cinnamon rolls – grains.
A few things that really helped bring dinner together much faster was the peppers, roasted tomatoes, and cinnamon rolls were already to use and just waiting to be pulled out of the freezer. Sometimes I bake too much of a good thing, so I will freeze the extras in family sized portions like these cinnamon rolls, Craig pulled them out of the freezer, defrosted and warmed them in the microwave; and they really tasted like fresh baked. Also if it is the end of a growing season with my vegetables or I purchased too much of a good sell at the store; I will dice or slice my vegetables and flash freeze them for later use. This prepreparation helped so much with tonight’s meal because I didn’t have the fresh peppers and tomatoes but they were stored in my freezer ready to go. There was no soggy peppers just in case you were worried. The tomatoes tasted fresh. It truly was like using fresh produce but quicker.
- 4 eggs
- 1/2 cup milk* (I used skim but you can use 2% to whole if preferred)
- 1/4 cup sour cream
- 4 slices bacon (cooked and broke into bite size pieces
- 1/2 cup shredded cheese** (I used Mexican and Italian shredded cheese blends but you can use your favorites)
- 3 TBS onion (minced)
- 3 mushrooms (diced)
- 1/2 green pepper (diced)
- 1/2 cup roasted tomatoes*** (chopped coarsely)
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp black pepper
- Large Mixing Bowl
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees
- Spray an 8x8 (approximately) oven proof casserole dish with non-stick spray
- In a large bowl or the casserole bowl; add eggs, milk, and sour cream - mix together with a whisk to beat the eggs
- Add the salt and pepper, whisk to incorporate
- Add the rest of the ingredients and fold in gently
- Bake for 45 minutes or until eggs are set
The other perfect thing about this baked omelet besides baking while waiting for the family to come home is you can add your favorite omelet ingredients. If you don’t like peppers, leave them out. If you don’t have roasted tomatoes use sundried or fresh. If you prefer cheddar or swiss cheese over Mexican blend sprinkle that in. Ham or bacon? you can choose. And if you prefer have it for breakfast or brunch someday. It truly is versatile.
What are your favorite ingredients in an omelet?