Last night there was a relief society (a group of women from our church) activity that I attended. It was a crock pot recipe sharing activity. Because we’re still eating vegetarian this week I figured I had better make something so that I would have something to eat when I went. And I think it turned out good enough that even non-vegetarian eaters would like it too. I was inspired by this recipe, but changed it to vegetable broth and nixed the bacon to keep with our no meat habit.
Crockpot Cheesy Baked Potato Soup
1/2 large onion, chopped
2 TBS butter
1 TBS minced garlic
8 medium sized potatoes, peeled and cut into 1/2 inch cubes
1 quart (4 cups) vegetable broth
2 1/2 tsp salt
1 tsp pepper
1 cup half and half
1 cup cheddar cheese
1/4 cup green onions, chopped
1. Saute onion in butter in a medium pan over medium heat until soft and golden brown. Add garlic and cook for a couple of minutes.
2. Put sauteed onion, garlic, potatoes, vegetable broth, salt and pepper in crock pot.
3. Cook on low for 8 hours.
4. Slightly mash potatoes until desired soup consistency.
5. Stir in half and half, cheese and green onions.
6. Allow to cook for another 20-30 minutes.
7. Serve with your favorite toppings (sour cream, extra cheese, broccoli, bacon, etc) added.