This banana cream pie is the best! With a buttery sweet graham cracker crust, banana pudding filling and topped with whipped cream!
My favorite type of pie is always a cream pie, and banana cream pie is my favorite pie of all!
It always has to have a graham cracker crust though. For this pie, I usually just make it with pudding mixes to make it quicker and easier, and that’s how I grew up with it. So its what I stuck with this time too – because I knew it would be the best. I did however make a homemade graham cracker crust because its better that way – but if you want to buy a store bought crust you’re welcome to do that too.
Some typical banana cream pies only have vanilla pudding, but I wanted the banana flavor to be strong so I used one banana cream pudding mix and one vanilla pudding mix.
You could also try our chocolate version. What is your favorite kind of pie? Or are you more or a cake and brownies kind of person?
This is a quick overview of the simple ingredients you’ll need for this homemade Banana Cream Pie Recipe. Specific measurements and full recipe instructions are in the printable recipe card below.
- graham cracker sheets
- granulated sugar
- melted butter
- instant vanilla pudding mix
- instant banana cream pudding mix
- whole milk
- ripe bananas
- cool whip
How to make Banana Cream Pie with Pudding Mix?
- Crush your graham crackers into a nice fine crumb. I like to blend them up in a blender or food processor. But you could also put them in a zip-top bag and crush them with a food mallet.
- Then stir together your sugar, graham cracker crumbs and butter in a mixing bowl. Press the mixture into the bottom of a 9inch pie pan and press the mixture down on the bottom and edges of the pan.
- Pour the dry pudding mixes into a large bowl and pour the cold milk over the top. Stir it all together until smooth. Add 1/2 cup of the cool whip to the pudding mixture and mix it into the pudding until smooth.
- Cut your banana into thin slices and lay the sliced bananas evenly in a single layer over the bottom of the pie crust.
- Pour the pudding mixture over the top of the bananas and smooth the top out evenly with a rubber spatula. Place the pie in the fridge to chill for a few hours.
- Spread the remaining cool whip over the top of the pie and serve with additional banana slices if desired.
Tips and Tricks:
- You’ll use instant pudding mix for this recipe, not a cook pudding mix. Don’t follow the recipe on the side of the pudding box, follow our amounts as instructed below.
- This pie would be delicious topped with garnishes. Try fresh banana slices, chocolate shavings, or toasted coconut!
- Try making a Nilla Wafer crust by using Vanilla Wafter Cookies instead of the graham cracker crust. You’ll want about 1 1/2 cups of cookie crumbs.
- Try a pastry crust for your pie if that’s what you prefer. Pre-bake the pie crust until golden, then let it chill completely before filling it with the bananas and pudding.
- Coat your banana slices in lemon juice to help prevent them from going brown. If you get the pudding on top of the slices quickly the ones in the pie should not get oxidized and shouldn’t turn brown until several hours after the pie is cut into.
Frequently Asked Questions:
Should Banana Cream Pie be Refrigerated?
This banana cream pie should definitely be stored in the fridge because it is filled with dairy. The pudding will loose it’s texture and become running, and probably spoil as well if left out at room temperature for more than an hour or so.
How to store pie?
Wrap the pie, or any pie leftovers in plastic wrap or aluminum foil and store it in the fridge. It will stay good in the fridge for up to 3 days.
CONNECT WITH LIKE MOTHER, LIKE DAUGHTER
Be sure to follow us on social media, so you never miss a single post!
Banana Cream Pie with Pudding Mix
For the Graham Cracker Crust:
- 12 graham cracker sheets
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1/4 cup butter (melted)
For the Pie Filling:
- 1 3.5 oz vanilla pudding mix
- 1 3.5 oz banana cream pudding mix
- 2 1/2 cups milk
- 2 bananas
- 8 oz cool whip
- Large Mixing Bowl
- Crush your graham crackers into a fine crumb. (It should make about 1 1/2 cups).
- Mix together your sugar with your graham cracker crumb in a medium sized bowl.
- Pour your melted butter over the top of your crumb and mix it all together.
- Pour your crust mixture into the bottom of a 9 inch pie crust pan and press down on the bottom and the edges.
- Pour your pudding mixes into a large bowl and pour your milk over it and stir together. Add 1/2 cup of cool whip to the pudding mixture and mix well.
- Cut your bananas into slices and lay them over your graham cracker crust.
- Pour pudding mixture over bananas and smooth top. Place in fridge to set for about 3 hours.
- Top with remaining cool whip and additional bananas before serving.
Enjoy this delicious and easy banana cream pie!
For other delicious pie recipes, try these: