This caramel banana cream pie has a delicious graham cracker crust, lots of bananas, a smooth caramel layer, topped by banana pudding, and whipped cream – for a delicious twist on traditional banana cream pie!
Want to make banana cream pie even better? Add caramel to the mix! This delicious banana cream pie recipe is seriously delicious!
I’ve mentioned before, but cream pies are my favorite and banana cream pie is my favorite of all! When I needed to make a pie for Pi Day (3.14) I knew that a twist on banana cream pie would be the perfect solution! Adding caramel to the pie takes it to the next level without adding too much difficulty.
This pie is different than banoffee pie which is usually made with a caramel made from boiled sweetened condensed milk or with dulce de leche. Banoffee pie is also usually just a layer of the condensed milk caramel topped with bananas and then whipped cream.
Where this caramel banana cream pie of course has the cream pie layer on top of a thinner caramel layer. Either way, this is delicious and banoffee pie sounds delicious too!
I started with my simple banana cream pie recipe. A quick and buttery homemade graham cracker crust, topped with banana slices, caramel, and vanilla banana pudding, and whipped cream for good measure. Drizzle each slice with a little more caramel for decoration if desired.
I kept this pie recipe simple, by using pudding mixes for the filling. I used both banana cream and vanilla pudding for the pie filling. If you don’t like the flavor of imitation banana you can instead do 2 packages of vanilla pudding. Or you can make the banana pudding from our banana cream pie from scratch recipe.
Ingredients Needed to make Caramel Banana Cream Pie:
- Graham Crackers – for the crust. You could also use Oreos, gingersnaps, etc.
- Granulated Sugar – to sweeten the crust just a little
- Melted Butter – to hold together the pie crust
- Bananas – You can’t have a banana pie without them!
- Soft Caramels – I haven’t tried using homemade caramels from this, but have used a variety of soft caramels from the store
- Heavy Cream – to help thin the caramels just enough so the layer isn’t too hard to slice through
- Vanilla Pudding Mix
- Banana Cream Pudding Mix – I like the flavor both the puddings together have, you can just go for two packets of one or the other too
- Milk – to make the pudding
- Cool Whip – because every cream pie needs cream 😉
How to make Caramel Banana Cream Pie?
Start by making the graham cracker crust. Crush the graham crackers into a fine crumb (a food processor works great for this). Then stir the graham cracker crumbs, sugar, and melted butter together in a medium sized bowl.
Add the graham cracker crumbs to a 9inch pie dish and press them into the bottom and edges of the pan, pressing as much as you can to make sure the crust is dense and holds itself together well. Put it in the fridge to chill while you make your pudding and caramel.
Add your caramels and heavy cream to a small sauce pan and melt them together, stirring often, until the caramels are melted and smooth.
Stir your vanilla pudding, banana pudding, and milk together (don’t follow the directions on the pudding box). Whip it together for a couple minutes. Fold in about 1/2 to 1 cup of the cool whip.
Add your sliced bananas into the bottom of your graham cracker crust. Drizzle the caramel over the bananas.
Then scoop the pudding into the pie shell and spread it around evenly. Spread the remaining cool whip over the top of the pie and place it in the fridge to set for at least 4 hours, up to 8 hours.
Top the pie with additional banana slices, and serve. Drizzle the slices with additional caramel sauce if desired.
Tips for making Caramel Banana Cream Pie:
- You will NOT prepare the pudding mixes according to package directions. On the boxes the pudding mixes will call for 2 cups of milk each. You will instead use 2.5 cups of milk TOTAL.
- You can use Kraft Caramels, Werther’s Chewy Caramels or any other soft caramel for the sauce. You’ll add in about 2 TBS of heavy cream to the caramels when you are melting them. Just enough that the sauce is not to hard to slice with the pie, but not too much that it is runny and too thin either.
- This pie is best made the day you’ll be eating it, or the night before at the most. The pudding will start to become soupy with the bananas and caramel added, so enjoy as soon as the pie is chilled.
This caramel banana cream pie is the perfect easy dessert. It’s such a delicious twist on banana cream pie, and is a a dessert everyone will love!
Looking for more banana cream pie recipes?
- Banana Cream Pie
- Banana Cream Pie Cookie Cups
- Banana Cream Pie Cookies
- Banana Cream Pie Yogurt Parfaits
Connect with Like Mother, Like Daughter
Be sure to follow us on social media, so you never miss a single post!
Caramel Banana Cream Pie
For the Graham Cracker Crust:
- 12 graham cracker sheets
- ¼ cup sugar
- ¼ cup butter (melted)
For the Pie Filling:
- 2 bananas
- 11 oz soft caramels (unwrapped)
- 2 TBS heavy cream (approximately)
- 1 3.5 oz instant vanilla pudding mix
- 1 3.5 oz instant banana cream pudding mix
- 2½ cups milk
- 8 oz cool whip
- Crush your graham crackers into a fine crumb. (It should make about 1½ cups).
- Mix together the sugar with the graham cracker crumb in a medium sized bowl.
- Pour the melted butter over the top of the crumb and mix it all together until you have a nice sandy mixture.
- Pour the crust mixture into the bottom of a 9 inch pie crust pan and press down evenly on the bottom and up the edges of the pan.
- Cut the bananas into slices and lay them over your graham cracker crust.
- Combine the caramels and heavy cream in a small sauce pan. Heat over medium until the caramels are melted and smooth, stirring the whole time.
- Pour the caramel over the banana slices. (You can save about 1/4 cup of the caramel to reheat later and pour over the pie)
- Add the pudding mixes into a large bowl and add the milk and stir it together for a couple of minutes, until combined.
- Add 1 cup of the cool whip to the pudding mixture and fold it into the pudding.
- Pour the pudding mixture over caramel and smooth it across the top top. Place it in the fridge to set for at least 4 hours.
- Top with remaining cool whip and additional bananas before serving.
- Drizzle with remaining caramel sauce (reheated) if desired.
This caramel banana cream pie was first published on March 14, 2016. The photos and blog post text were updated for clarity on October 27, 2021.
MAKE THIS DELICIOUS CARAMEL BANANA CREAM PIE WITH THE HELP OF THESE GREAT KITCHEN TOOLS AND INGREDIENTS: