Caramel banana cream pie has a delicious graham cracker crust, followed by a caramel layer, topped by banana pudding and whipped cream for a delicious twist on traditional banana cream pie!
Want to make banana cream pie even better? Add caramel to the mix! This delicious banana cream pie recipe is seriously delicious!
I’ve mentioned before, but cream pies are my favorite and banana cream pie is my favorite of all! When I needed to make a pie for Pi Day (3.14) I knew that a twist on banana cream pie would be the perfect solution! Adding caramel to the pie takes it to the next level without adding too much difficulty.
This pie is different than banoffee pie which is usually made with a caramel made from boiled sweetened condensed milk or with dulce de leche. Banoffee pie is also usually just a layer of the condensed milk caramel topped with bananas and then whipped cream.
Where this caramel banana cream pie of course has the cream pie layer on top of a thinner caramel layer. Either way, this is delicious and banoffee pie sounds delicious too!
I started with my simple banana cream pie recipe. A quick and buttery homemade graham cracker crust, topped with banana slices, caramel, and vanilla banana pudding, and whipped cream for good measure. Drizzle each slice with a little more caramel for decoration if desired.
I kept this pie recipe simple, by using pudding mixes for the filling. I used both banana cream and vanilla pudding for the pie filling. If you don’t like the flavor of imitation banana you can instead do 2 packages of vanilla pudding.
You will NOT prepare the pudding mixes according to package directions. On the boxes the pudding mixes will call for 2 cups of milk each. You will instead use 2.5 cups of milk TOTAL.
For the caramel goodness, I melted wrapped caramels with a little heavy cream to thin them just a little. You could of course make your own homemade pudding, which I definitely think I will do one day!
You can use Kraft Caramels, Werther’s Chewy Caramels or any other soft caramel for the sauce. You’ll add in about 2 TBS of heavy cream to the caramels when you are melting them. Just enough that the sauce is not to hard to slice with the pie, but not too much that it is runny.
This pie is best made the day you’ll be eating it. The caramel softens the crust a bit, and the pudding mix as well, so after a few days it will become soup. It’s best to eat the first day, or within two or three days of being made.
Looking for more banana cream pie recipes?
- Banana Cream Pie
- Banana Cream Pie Cookie Cups
- Banana Cream Pie Cookies
- Banana Cream Pie Yogurt Parfaits
Connect with Like Mother, Like Daughter
Be sure to follow us on social media, so you never miss a single post!
Caramel Banana Cream Pie
For the Graham Cracker Crust:
- 12 graham cracker sheets
- ¼ cup sugar
- ¼ cup butter (melted)
For the Pie Filling:
- 2 bananas
- 11 oz package caramels (unwrapped)
- 2 TBS heavy cream (approximately)
- 1 3.5 oz instant vanilla pudding mix
- 1 3.5 oz instant banana cream pudding mix
- 2½ cups milk
- 8 oz cool whip
- Crush your graham crackers into a fine crumb. (It should make about 1½ cups).
- Mix together your sugar with your graham cracker crumb in a medium sized bowl.
- Pour your melted butter over the top of your crumb and mix it all together.
- Pour your crust mixture into the bottom of a 9 inch pie crust pan and press down on the bottom and the edges.
- Cut your bananas into slices and lay them over your graham cracker crust.
- Combine your caramels and heavy cream in a small sauce pan. Heat over medium until caramels are melted and smooth, stirring throughout.
- Pour caramel over banana slices (reserve about 1/4 cup if desired for later).
- Pour your pudding mixes into a large bowl and pour your milk over it and stir together. Add ½ cup of cool whip to the pudding mixture and mix well.
- Pour pudding mixture over caramel and smooth top. Place in fridge to set for about 3 hours.
- Top with remaining cool whip and additional bananas before serving.
MAKE THIS DELICIOUS CARAMEL BANANA CREAM PIE WITH THE HELP OF THESE GREAT KITCHEN TOOLS AND INGREDIENTS:
I think you might like these other banana desserts too:
Here are more amazing pie recipes from my friends!
Creamy Lemon Blueberry Pie // Dessert Now Dinner Later
Pecan Hand Pies // Tried and Tasty
Lemon Pie Bars // One Sweet Appetite
No Bake Chocolate Mint Oreo Pie // Life Made Sweeter
Irish Cream Pie // Sugar & Soul
No Bake Strawberry Lemon Cream Pie // A Kitchen Addiction
Samoa Pie // Eazy Peazy Mealz
Mile High Fudge Brownie Pie // A Dash of Sanity
Cherry Pie Bars // Cupcake Diaries
Coconut Cream Pie // Lemon Tree Dwelling
Frozen Strawberry Yogurt Pie // The Love Nerds