This blueberry coffee cake will be your new favorite coffee cake flavor. Who doesn’t want an excuse to eat cake for breakfast?!
This homemade coffee cake is as good as you’ll get from your favorite coffee shop or bakery. It’s bursting with fresh blueberries, and topped with the most irresistible crunchy streusel topping.
I love coffee cake – I love that it gives me the excuse to eat cake for breakfast, but is also good enough for dessert. If you want even more of my brunch favorites try out our easy granola recipe, pb chocolate smoothie, or cream cheese dessert crepes.
This blueberry coffee cake is similar to blueberry muffins, but baked up in a cake pan, and with the most scrumptious crumb topping. Slice it up and serve for breakfast, or brunch.
Why make Blueberry Coffee Cake
- Packed with Blueberries – If you’re a blueberry fan, I promise you’ll love this sweet coffee cake! (And if you’re not try it with out the blueberries, or with rasbperries or another berry instead).
- Great texture – With a soft and fluffy crumb throughout, combined with the crunchy topping – its a match made in heaven.
- Delicious flavor – buttery and sweet throughout, and did I mention packed with blueberries?
- Easy to make – Ready in less than an hour, with only about 10 minutes of work.
Its perfect for a weekend breakfast, or for having friends over for brunch, or heck, I won’t judge you if you have a slice with your lunch too.
To make this blueberry streusel coffee cake recipe I altered my strawberry muffins with a crumb topping and turned it into this sweet blueberry coffee cake.
This is a quick overview of the ingredients you’ll need for this Blueberry Coffee Cake Recipe. Specific measurements and full recipe instructions are in the printable recipe card below.
- all purpose flour
- baking powder – this will give the coffee cake a nice fluffy crumb
- ground cinnamon
- unsalted butter – for the buttery streusel topping, and the batter
- granulated sugar
- vanilla extract – for flavor
- whole milk – to thin out the batter
- fresh blueberries – frozen berries can be used in a jiffy, if needed
- brown sugar – to make the most irresistible crumb topping
How to make Blueberry Coffee Cake
- Combine the dry ingredients in a large bowl. Mix together the flour, baking powder, salt, and cinnamon, and whisk them together.
- Cream the butter and sugar together in another large mixing bowl for a couple of minutes until they are light and fluffy. Add in the eggs, and vanilla extract and stir until just combined.
- Add in the flour mixture and milk by adding about half of the flour mixture, and mixing until just combined, then half the milk, then the rest of the dry ingredients, and the remaining milk.
- Add the blueberries. Coat the blueberries lightly in a couple TBS of flour in a small bowl, and add them to the batter. Gently fold them into the batter.
- Add the crumble topping. Add the batter into a greased 9inch springform pan (or a 9inch square pan). Combine the dry ingredients for the crumb topping in a medium bowl, then add the butter to the mixture, and mix it in with two forks or a pastry cutter until you have pea sized crumbs. Sprinkle it over the top of the batter.
- Bake until the top is golden and a tooth pick comes out of the center clean. Let the cake cool slightly, or completely, then slice it up and enjoy.
Tips and Tricks
- Use room temperature ingredients; room temperature eggs, milk, and butter will help your batter combine easier, and smoother.
- Toss blueberries in flour, add blueberries to a bowl with a couple extra Tablespoons of flour. Lift them out of the bowl, and leave any remaining flour behind. This will keep them all from sinking to the bottom of the batter.
- Experiment with flavors: Try a variety of different berries, instead of blueberries to make this yummy coffee cake. Strawberries will need to be diced into small pieces before adding to the batter.
- Lemon: Try adding 1-2 TBS of lemon zest to the cake batter to add a fresh twist.
Blueberry Coffee Cake Recipe FAQs
Can I use frozen blueberries?
Fresh blueberries are ideal for this blueberry crumb cake, but frozen will work too. If you’re using frozen berries, you’ll mix them straight into the batter without letting them thaw first. This will prevent the blueberries from bleeding into the batter, and turning it blue.
How to store coffee cake?
Store any leftover coffee cake by covering it tightly with plastic wrap, or transferring it to an airtight container. It will store at room temperature for about 3 to 4 days.
You can also store it in the fridge for up to 1 week. Or in the freezer for up to 3 months. Thaw the cake overnight in the fridge before slicing and enjoying again.
Can I make this ahead of time?
This is a great make-ahead dish because the flavor almost gets better after letting it sit. Make it the day before you need it and store it to enjoy the next day.
This is the best blueberry coffee cake. Its the perfect way to start your day with a slice of this cake, and a cup of coffee, hot cocoa, or tea. It’s bursting with juicy berries, has the best brown sugar crumb topping, and you’ll want to make it for all your special events!
More Coffee Cake Recipes:
- Coffee Cake Muffins / Dessert Now Dinner Later
- Baked Coffee Cake Doughnuts / Tried and Tasty
- White Chocolate Strawberry Cream Cheese Coffee Cake / Eazy Peazy Mealz
- Peach Cobbler Coffee Cake / Lemon Tree Dwelling
- Peanut Butter Crumble Coffee Cake / A Kitchen Addiction
- Strawberry Coffee Cake / Cupcake Diaries
- Key Lime Coffee Cake / Life Made Sweeter
- Maple Pecan Coffee Cake / A Dash of Sanity
- Strawberry Peach Coffee Cake / Sugar and Soul
Connect with Like Mother, Like Daughter
Be sure to follow us on social media, so you never miss a single post!
Blueberry Coffee Cake
For the Coffee Cake Batter:
- 2 cups all purpose flour
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp cinnamon
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 1/2 cup softened butter
- 2 eggs
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 1/2 cup milk
- 1 1/2 cups fresh blueberries (or frozen)
For the Crumb Topping:
- 1/2 cup flour
- 1/3 cup brown sugar
- 1/3 cup sugar
- 1/2 tsp cinnamon
- 1/4 cup softened butter
- Large Mixing Bowl
For the Coffee Cake Batter:
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees Fahrenheit. Grease a 9in springform pan, or 9inch square pan, and set it aside.
- In a large bowl combine the flour, baking powder, salt, and cinnamon. Set aside.
- In another large bowl beat together the sugar and butter for a couple of minutes, or until light and fluffy.
- Add in the eggs and vanilla and stir until just combined.
- Alternate adding the flour mixture, and milk by adding half the flour, and mixing until combined, then half the milk. And repeating with more flour, and more milk.
- Coat the blueberries in a small bowl with 1-2 TBS of flour. Lift them out of the bowl and fold them into the batter.
- Pour the batter into the prepared pan.
For the Crumb Topping:
- Combine the flour, brown sugar, granulated sugar, and cinnamon in a medium bowl. Add in the butter and cut it into the dry ingredients, until you have pea sized crumbs.
- Bake in the preheated oven for 40-45 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean.
- Allow to cool, slice and serve.
This blueberry coffee cake was first posted on April 7, 2016. The photos and blog text were updated for clarity on January 8, 2024.