Delicious flavors and tender meats what a perfect combination for chili verde pork tacos.
Do you think it is a dangerous thing to experiment with new foods when you are feeding your mother-in-law? Apparently I don’t. Probably because I have the most easy going, positive, and uplifting mother-in-law around. So I didn’t think I would fail by cooking up chili verde pork tacos. It helped that the chili verde pork tacos were scrumptious and savory too.
My mother-in-law Norine was my traveling companion to California after a 2 week stay with Aimee and Nate helping them balance life a little bit after their sweet baby came. That was pretty wonderful. I loved helping by cooking food, cleaning house, and holding the little one. I especially loved my time with their family and a real treasure was evening walks around the neighborhood with Aimee.
But anyway…. Norine and I really enjoyed our 10 hour car drive together. She is so easy to talk to and we probably talked nonstop just about everything. Then Craig and I had the pleasure of having her stay here with us for a week, what a treat. We even celebrated her birthday with a dinner to Swing Inn Restaurant in Temecula (at one time her dad owned the Swing Inn when it was an inn) and the play Grease at Lawrence Welk Village Resort.
Since she had come to visit I hardly did any cooking; Tuesday night was an extended family BBQ, Wednesday night a quick chicken dish, Thursday she was visiting with friends and Craig and I were at Young Women camp, Friday Norine cooked cube steak for us, and then she left on Sunday to stay with her daughter in Carlsbad. So when did I cook for her, the following Thursday when she came back to stay one more night before her drive home I tried a new recipe.
This chili verde pork taco was the perfect thing to prepare because although I was at work all day, I just had to saute a few things beforehand and then throw everything in the crock pot to cook all day; fusing flavors together and tenderizing the meat.
And it turned out perfect, just what I wanted delicious flavors together, tender meat, and yummy food. YAY! and my dear mother-in-law liked it, I mean she had two.
Chili Verde Tacos
- 2 lb pork roast
- 6 tomatillos (peeled and washed)
- 1/2 yellow onion (chopped)
- 2 to 3 cloves garlic (minced)
- 7 oz salsa verde
- 1 1/2 tsp dried oregano
- salt and pepper (to taste)
- flour tortillas
- grated cheese
- sour cream
- Spray a medium sized crock pot with cooking oil
- Salt and pepper your pork roast and place in the crock pot
- In a medium saucepan warm 2 TBS olive oil
- Saute your onions and garlic until golden and transparent in the oil
- Add your salsa verde to the onions and garlic, stir
- Add your oregano to this mix, stir
- In a blender put your tomatillos with just barely enough water to cover them, blend to liquidity
- Pour your onion, garlic, salsa verde mixture over your pork roast
- Pour your blended tomatillos over your pork
- Cook on high for 1 hour and then change to low for 6 hours
- Shred your pork with a fork and let cook on low for another hour or ready to serve
- Serve in soft tacos with all your favorite fixings, like grated cheese, sour cream, salsa, chopped tomatoes, cilantro
Enjoy these delicious, moist and flavorful tacos!