Peppermint Chocolate bundt cake is the best holiday cake! Its moist, sweet, and rich with the perfect blend of chocolate and peppermint throughout, and topped with crunchy candy cane pieces!
**This chocolate peppermint bundt cake is written by me on behalf of Walmart. The opinions and text are all mine. #GroceryHero
Can I brag about this chocolate peppermint bundt cake a little bit? Its a fun twist on my traditional chocolate bundt cake with the added peppermint flavor, which makes it perfect for this time of year!
It has peppermint extract added to the cake batter and the ganache topping, plus crushed candy cane pieces on top for the perfect peppermint flavor bursting throughout.
We had a few friends over last week for an ugly sweater party. We were having too much fun to get any pictures, except this one I grabbed of my gang after the party was over. For the party I made up a couple of big pots of soups, and this chocolate peppermint bundt cake, and everyone else brought something to share too.
I was able to grab everything we needed for the food and the party from Walmart, without even going into the store! Did you know that Walmart offers Grocery Pickup at many of their local stores now?! Its my new favorite thing! I was able to order everything I needed for the party while sitting at my computer. And not just good items either, I ordered the paper goods we needed for the party as well. Then I just chose my pickup time. When it came time to pick it up I checked in using their new mobile app when I was on my way to the store and pulled up to my spot. I only had to wait about 10 minutes before all my groceries were loaded nicely into the back of the car, and I didn’t even have to get out of the car!
This is such a nice option for a busy mom like me! I don’t have to drag my toddler into the store where he is usually begging me for candy or kicking and screaming. I don’t have to get out of the car into the freezing cold. I don’t have to walk through the store where I usually get tempted by lots of extra treats, I just get the things I need that I actually put on my list. All the produce I got was super fresh and cooked up perfectly in the delicious white chicken chili and broccoli cheddar soups I made too.
I can only imagine how nice its going to be when baby boy #2 joins the family. And did I mention that its free? Everything costs the same as it would in the store and there is no service fee either.
Now, back to this amazing cake!
This cake is so moist throughout thanks to the sour cream in the batter (you can use greek yogurt if the sour cream seems weird to you 😉 )
And its topped with the perfectly rich and thick chocolate peppermint ganache. I could seriously eat that stuff by the spoonful.
Chocolate Peppermint Bundt Cake
For the Cake:
- 1 cup unsalted butter (2 sticks)
- 1/3 cup cocoa powder
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 cup water
- 2 cups all purpose flour
- 1 cup white sugar
- 3/4 cup brown sugar
- 1 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 2 large eggs
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 tsp peppermint extract
For the Chocolate Peppermint Ganache:
- 2 TBS sugar
- 1/2 cup heavy cream
- 4 oz chopped semi sweet baking chocolate
- 2 TBS corn syrup
- 1/2 tsp peppermint extract
- Large Mixing Bowl
- Preheat your oven to 350 degrees. Spray a bundt cake pan with non stick spray and sprinkle with cocoa powder.
- Combine butter, cocoa powder, salt and water in a small saucepan over medium heat.
- Cook until everything is just melted and remove from heat. Set aside.
- Combine flour, sugars and baking soda in a large mixing bowl.
- Add in half of cocoa powder mixture at a time, stirring until completely blended.
- Add in the eggs, and mix until just combined.
- Mix in the sour cream, vanilla and peppermint extracts and stir until completely smooth.
- Pour into the prepared pan and bake for 40-50 minutes until an inserted toothpick comes out clean.
- Let the cake cool in the pan for 15 minutes then invert onto a cooling rack to cool completely.
- Heat the heavy cream and sugar in a small sauce pan over medium heat just until the sugar is dissolved.
- Put chocolate, corn syrup, and peppermint extract in a medium sized bowl and pour heavy cream over the top.
- Allow to set for 2 minutes, before whisking until smooth.
- Allow to cool until a little bit thickened, about 15 minutes. Then drizzle over the top of the cake to cover.
- Sprinkle top with crushed peppermint pieces.
- Allow to set for a couple hours before serving.
Plus I got a free goodie bag the first time I went for being a first time customer!
*The only issue I had is that a lot of the fruits and vegetables are purchased online by the pound, so since I usually just grab 1 or 2 onions, for example I didn’t know how many pounds I would need.