Coconut Macaroons are crunchy on the outside, chewy in the middle, with the perfect sweet coconut taste! You can dip them in chocolate if you want!
These coconut macaroon cookies are perfection if you are a coconut lover! They are made with only 5 ingredients (6 if you decide to dip the bottoms in chocolate) and are super easy to make!
The whipped egg whites gives them a perfectly golden crunchy, and crispy outside texture, while the middle stays moist and chewy. The key to getting these just macaroons just right is not using the whole can of sweetened condensed milk, so your cookies don’t flatten to much from having too much liquid. A can of sweetened condensed milk has about 20 TBS, or 1 cup + 4 TBS, but you’re only going to want to use about a cup of it, so you’ll have about 1/4 cup or so leftover. I also don’t scrape out my measuring cup, so its possible I use another 1/2 TBS less, but you will be fine either way.
I like my macaroons with a nice golden color on the bottom, and just starting to golden on the top. I also am okay with a few lose coconut pieces on the top, instead of tight balls because I like how it looks, you choose whichever way you prefer.
Watch them closely as they bake, to make sure they don’t turn too brown!
I’ve made the macaroons in a smaller and larger size, about 1 1/2 TBS and 2 1/2 TBS, the only thing you’ll need to adjust is the baking time.
This coconut macaroon recipe is a great option if you are gluten free, because there is no flour in the recipe! Just double check all your ingredients (vanilla at least, because sometimes that isn’t gluten free), so these are perfect for some one who has celiac disease, or if you are eating kosher for Passover.
Even if you aren’t celebrating Passover, these are the perfect spring cookie with their light crunchy exterior and delicious coconut flavor!
Looking for more Coconut Recipes?
Connect with Like Mother, Like Daughter
Be sure to follow us on social media, so you never miss a single post!
Facebook | Instagram | Pinterest | Email
- 14 oz sweetened shredded coconut
- 1 cup sweetened condensed milk (no need to scrape out the measuring cup)
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 2 large egg whites
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/2 cup chopped chocolate or chocolate chips (optional)
- Preheat the oven to 325 degrees.
- In a medium bowl, mix together the shredded coconut, condensed milk, and vanilla extract.
- In another bowl, beat the egg whites and salt until stiff peaks form.
- Carefully fold the egg whites into the coconut mixture.
- Carefully scoop about 1 1/2 tablespoons worth and roll into a ball with your hands, placing the prepared mounds onto a baking sheet lined with a silicone liner or parchment paper (A cookie scoop will work too).
- Bake for about 10 minutes, then rotate the pan from front to back.
- Bake for another 8-15 minutes until the bottoms are golden, and the top starts to turn golden as well. Check every couple minutes at the end till desired color is reached. (Time varies so much based on where you live)
- Allow cookies to rest on pan for a few minutes before transferring to a wire rack to cool completely.
- Melt chocolate in the microwave in 30 second intervals, stirring after each till smooth. I usually do 1.5 minutes total.
- Dip the bottoms of the macaroons in the chocolate. Allow excess to drip back into the bowl, or scrape a little off with a spoon.
- Drizzle some chocolate over the top if desired.
- Place them back on the lined baking sheets.
- Allow chocolate to set before enjoying.
- Cookies should keep in an airtight container for about 1 week.
Leave a Reply