These easy caramel apples are such a classic fall treat. This recipe is semi-homemade using store bought soft caramels, melted and coated around a tangy apple. These caramel apples are perfect for a party, wrapping up as gifts, or just enjoy as sweet treat.
Caramel apples are one of my favorite snacks when it comes time for Halloween and fall goodies.
I tried making homemade caramel apples a couple times in the past, without very much success. I attempted using a homemade caramel recipe, but it was too runny to stay on the apple. This caramel apple recipe is fail proof, and so easy to make.
The caramel for the apples is made from soft caramels bought from the store, with a little heavy cream added in, and they are microwaved until smooth and creamy. You don’t have to worry about checking the temperature with a candy thermometer, or over cooking, or under cooking the caramel.
You only need three ingredients to make these yummy homemade caramel apples. Then you can of course decorate them, and jazz them up with some extra ingredients to make these caramel apples extra sweet, extra delicious, and extra fun.
What are good caramel apple toppings?
- Mini Chocolate Chips
- Mini M&Ms
- Drizzled white chocolate
- Drizzled chocolate
- Chopped up Toffee (Heath Toffee Bits or chopped up homemade toffee)
- Chopped Nuts (Peanuts, Pecans, Walnuts, Cashews, etc.)
- Sprinkles (I especially like rainbow jimmies)
- Shredded Coconut
- Mini Marshmallows (especially the dehydrated ones)
- Chopped up Candy Bar Pieces
- Crushed Oreos
- Crushed Graham Crackers
- Flaky Sea Salt
What are the best apples to use for caramel apples?
You can use almost any variety of apples that you prefer. However a crisp apple pairs so nicely with the chewy caramel. I also love green granny smith apples, because the tartness of the apple pairs so well with the sweet caramel.
- Granny Smith
- Honey Crisp
- Pink Lady
How to make easy caramel apples?
Rinse and thoroughly dry the apples with a towel or paper towel. Insert a lollipop stick or popsicle stick into the middle of the apple from the top.
In a large microwave safe bowl, add your caramels (unwrapped 😉 ) and heavy creamy. Microwave them for 30 seconds, then stir as best you can. Continue microwaving in 30 second increments, stirring after each until you can stir it totally smooth. It should only be about 2 to 3 minutes total.
Dip the apples into the caramel, rotating them around to cover them almost completely in caramel. Scrape off any extra caramel that drips to the bottom of the apples. Place caramel apples onto a baking sheet lined with parchment paper or waxed paper.
If you are adding toppings, dip them into the toppings immediately before placing them on the baking tray. If you want to drizzle them with melted chocolate let the caramel harden completely then drizzle the chocolate over them. Place the tray of caramel apples in the fridge to cool and harden for at least 30 minutes.
You can now enjoy the apples by biting at them straight off the stick, or you can slice the apples into pieces then enjoy.
How to store caramel apples?
These caramel apples can be carefully stored in the fridge for up to 1 week. I recommend storing them in an airtight container with a lid, or wrapping them individually in cellophane to store in the fridge.
The caramel apples also make a great gift for friends or neighbors wrapped up in cellophane and tied with a bow.
These easy caramel apples are such a perfect fall treat. They’re so simple to make, and are perfect for a treat, or for packaging up as a gift for others.
Looking for more Apple Recipes?
Connect with Like Mother, Like Daughter
Be sure to follow us on social media, so you never miss a single post!
- 16 oz soft caramels (like
- 3 TBS heavy cream
- 8 medium to large apples
- 8 popsicle sticks or lollipop sticks
- mini chocolate chips
- chopped nuts
- crushed oreos
- drizzled white chocolate or regular chocolate
- Rinse and thoroughly dry the apples with a paper towel.
- Insert sticks into the middle of each apple from the top.
- Combine soft caramels and heavy cream in a large microwave safe bowl.
- Heat in 30 second increments, stirring in between each until fully smooth.
- Dip the apples into the caramel, rotating them around to cover the apples almost completely. Scrape off any excess caramel that drips to the bottom of the apples.
- Then immediately roll apples in the preferred toppings. Or set them onto some parchment paper.
- Once caramel is set drizzle with melted chocolate if desired.
- Refrigerate the apples to allow the caramel to set completely .
- Cut apples into slices and enjoy.
These easy caramel apples were first posted on Oct 27, 2013. The photos on text were updated on September 9, 2020.