Halloween Pinata Cake is a fun and easy cake with 4 layers and a delicious fun surprise of Halloween candy inside!
**This is a sponsored conversation written by me on behalf of The J.M. Smucker Company. The opinions and text are all mine. #MixUpAMoment
I’ve wanted to try out a piñata style cake for a while now, and I decided Halloween was the perfect excuse for it. This Halloween Pinata Cake is so much fun, and would you even believe me if I say that it’s easy too?
I’ll be honest I’m kind of terrible at decorating cakes, but I always cross my fingers that as long as the cake tastes amazing no one will notice. So this cake is a 4 layer cake, but don’t freak out just yet, made with 2 boxes of Pillsbury™ Funfetti® Halloween Cake Mix and frosted with 2 (to 2 1/2) cans of Pillsbury™ Funfetti® Halloween Vanilla Flavored Frosting. Stuffed into the middle of the cake, so that when you cut into it, your favorite Halloween candy falls out, just like a piñata.
I used Reeses Pieces (but Halloween M&Ms would work great too), candy corn, googly eyes, and some of the sprinkles from the Pillsbury™ Funfetti® Halloween Frosting.
Pillsbury™ Funfetti® Halloween Vanilla Flavored Frosting is THE perfect way to mix it up this Halloween, with a new and fun dessert that is delicious, but also easy to make! Just grab a couple boxes of cake mix and cans of frosting at Walmart, along with your favorite Halloween candies, and you are ready to go. (You’ll also need oil, eggs and water, as called for on the cake mix)
So basically, you’ll bake your cake a box at a time in 2 round 8 or 9 inch pans. Prepare the cake mix according to the package directions, with the called for eggs, oil and water and pour into the greased cake pans. Bake until a toothpick comes out clean and allow to cool for a few minutes before removing carefully to a cooling rack to cool completely. Repeat with the second box of cake mix, so you’ll have 4 round layers of cake total. Take two of the pans and cut a circle out of the middle using a large cup, cooking cutter, or very carefully with a knife. Frost each layer as you stack the cake with the 2 layers with the empty middle in the middle and fill with your favorite Halloween candies. Continue frosting the cake and decorate with more adorable Pillsbury™ Funfetti® Sprinkles.
Voila, your family and friends will be so impressed with your cake making skills – you don’t even have to tell them that you started with a cake mix. My son even loved helping me make this cake, although most of the time that ends up in a disaster, this time I gave him the 2 cake middles and let him decorate them himself. He mostly just stuck them full of candles and wanted to blow them out over and over again 😉
This cake would be the perfect dessert to make for an upcoming Halloween celebration! You could also decorate with an additional Pillsbury™ frosting. Everyone will love seeing you slice into that cake and watching the fun candies fall out of the middle.
Kids and adults, alike, will love this fun cake!
Halloween Piñata Cake
- 2 Pillsbury™ Funfetti® Halloween Cake Mix
- oil, eggs and water (as called for on the boxes)
- 2 - 3 cans of Pillsbury™ Funfetti® Halloween Vanilla Flavored Frosting
- 2 cups of mixed Halloween candies (m&ms, candy corn, reeses pieces, etc.)
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Prepare cake mixes according to the package directions.
- Bake cake mixes in greased 8 or 9 in round cake pans according to package directions, until a toothpick comes out clean.
- Allow to cool for several minutes in the pan before carefully removing and allowing to cool completely on a cooling rack.
- Cut rounded tops of each cake layer off to make each layer flat.
- Cut a circle out of two of the cake layers, about 4 inches, using a cookie cutter, or large cup and remove and set aside.
- Layer 1 full cake layer, frost the top, followed by the 2 middle layers, with holes, frosting after each layer.
- Fill the middle cavity with mixed candies.
- Put top cake layer on the cake and frost the cake completely.
- Decorate with remaining Pillsbury™ Funfetti® Halloween Sprinkles.
Pillsbury™ Halloween products are available at your local Walmart in the Bake Center/Bake Aisle. For more recipe ideas on how to Mix Up a Moment, visit Pillsbury™ Pinterest page.