These Halloween Muddy Buddies are your favorite peanut butter chocolate snack mix, with Halloween candies mixed in! Perfect for a Halloween party!
These Halloween Muddy Buddies are perfect for a Halloween party, eating while watching some of your favorite Halloween movies, or enjoying all fall long – because who doesn’t love muddy buddies?!
Are you on the candy corn train, I always here that people either love candy corn, or hate it, but honestly I feel like I’m somewhere in the middle. I’m happy to eat one or two pieces, but it’s not like it’s my favorite Halloween candy out there. So which camp are you in? Do you love candy corn? Or do you hate it? Or do you fall somewhere in the middle like me?
Well, these Halloween Muddy Buddies do have candy corn in them, because what’s more Halloween-ey than candy corn and candy pumpkins?
Other Halloween candies you could add to this mix:
- Candy Eyeballs
- Orange Halloween Kit Kats
- Halloween Oreos
- Halloween/Fall M&Ms
- Halloween sprinkles
- White Chocolate Pretzels
- Gummy Worms
Muddy Buddies are seriously addicting. They might be my favorite treat for snacking, but the problem is I eat the whole bowl in like an hour. If you have better restraint than me, these will be the perfect treat to satisfy your sweet tooth. The Halloween twist makes these so fun and delicious to enjoy any time throughout September and October!
This is a quick overview of the ingredients you’ll need for this Halloween Muddy Buddies recipe. Specific measurements and full recipe instructions are in the printable recipe card below.
- chex cereal – personally I like rice chex, but wheat chex, corn chex, honey nut chex, etc. or Crispix cereal would work too!
- chocolate chips – for the classic chocolatey flavor. You could also try white chocolate chips.
- peanut butter – adds the delicious peanut butter flavor to the fun Halloween chex mix.
- butter – adds creaminess, flavor, and helps the chocolate melt smoothly.
- vanilla extract – adds a nice flavor to the mix.
- powdered sugar – adds the classic coating to the muddy buddies, and keeps the treat sweet, and hands a little cleaner.
- candy corn and candy pumpkins – adds a nice color and soft sweetness to the mix
- Reese’s Pieces – I love Reeses Pieces for this, because they have that delicious peanut butter taste which is the perfect partner for Muddy Buddies peanut butter and chocolate and because they have the perfect Halloween colors.
How to make Halloween Muddy Buddies?
- Add the chocolate chips, peanut butter and butter to a microwave-safe bowl. Microwave them together for 1 minute and stir it as much as you can. Microwave for another 30 seconds if needed to stir it smooth. Stir in the vanilla extract.
- Add the chex cereal to a large bowl and pour the melted chocolate mixture over the top of the cereal base. Gently stir it together to coat the cereal pieces with the mixture.
- Add the cereal to a large ziptop bag and add in the powdered sugar. Shake the bag to coat the cereal in the powdered sugar.
- Pour the muddy buddies into a new big bowl, and fold in the candy corn, candy pumpkins, and reeses pieces. Spread the mixture out onto a baking sheet covered with parchment paper to sit until the chocolate is set. Then enjoy!
Frequently Asked Questions:
Why is it sometimes called Puppy Chow?
Muddy buddies are sometimes called puppy chow because the look of them closely resembles dog food. However keep in mine, this is not a safe treat for dogs.
How do you store Muddy Buddies?
Once cooled and the chocolate is set, muddy buddies can be stored in an airtight container or ziploc bag at room temperature. The treat should stay fresh in those containers for up to 1 week. If you live in a hot and humid climate make sure to seal the container tightly, and keep it in a cool place in your kitchen.
What are other Muddy Buddy Flavors?
There are a lot of different varieties of homemade muddy buddy flavors because you can add in your choice of mix-ins, types of chocolate, etc to make the treat different. Some of my favorite muddy buddy flavors are cookies and cream muddy buddies, snickerdoodle muddy buddies, or s’mores muddy buddies.
Chex also makes Muddy Buddies you can buy from most grocery stores. They have traditional Peanut Butter and Chocolate Muddy Buddies, Cookies and Cream, and Brownie Supreme.
These spooky Halloween Muddy Buddies are such a fun twist on traditional muddy buddies, with the same great peanut butter and chocolate flavors, with some added Halloween goodness. It’s such a fun treat for an easy Halloween dessert, a great option for the Halloween season, for a party, movie night, or wrapping up in cellophane bags for an easy sweet treat to share with friends, or co-workers.
Looking for more Halloween Treat Recipes?
Connect with Like Mother, Like Daughter
Be sure to follow us on social media, so you never miss a single post!
Halloween Muddy Buddies
- 1 cup chocolate chips
- 3/4 cup peanut butter
- 1/4 cup butter
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 9 cups Chex Cereal
- 1 1/2 cups powdered sugar
- 1 cup candy corn
- 1 cup candy Pumpkins
- 1 cup Reeses Pieces
- Large Mixing Bowl
- Combine the chocolate chips, peanut butter, and butter, in a medium sized microwave proof bowl. Microwave for 1 minute, stir. Microwave for another 30 seconds if needed till you can stir smooth.
- Stir in the vanilla extract.
- Add the chex cereal into a large bowl.
- Pour the chocolate mixture over the cereal and gently stir to coat the cereal completely with the mixture.
- Add the cereal to a large gallon sized Ziplock bag, add in the powdered sugar.
- Shake to cover the cereal completely with the powedered sugar.
- Pour the muddy buddies into a clean bowl, and stir in the candy corn, pumpkins and reeses pieces.
- Spread the muddy buddies out onto a baking sheet (or two) covered with parchment paper.
- Allow to rest for about 20 minutes.