This homemade white bread is the perfect white bread, it’s great for sandwiches, toast, or just slathered with butter and honey on top!
This fresh homemade bread is so light, soft, and fluffy. There is just something about a fresh loaf of homemade bread that is magical. It’s so delicious, and one of my favorite comfort foods.
You just combine a few basic ingredients (hopefully you guys can find yeast in the stores right now, I know there was a shortage for a while), let the dough rise, and then when the bread is baking your whole house is filled with the best smell, the delicious smell of fresh bread.
I have to restrain myself when I pull the bread out of the oven not to just rip a piece off right then and there and eat it plain like that. But you can best as soon as it’s cooled enough to slice it up and I cutting off a piece, or two, or three, and lathering them with some butter and honey.
This recipe makes two loaves of fresh white bread, which is perfect because it can last for a few days for everything we need it for. I love a few slices fresh and warm with butter and jam or honey, some toasted up and topped with cinnamon sugar or eaten with eggs for breakfast, or slathered with peanut butter and jelly or with some ham and cheese for a yummy sandwich.
We haven’t decided if we like the bread better hot and fresh or the next day. It should stay good wrapped in plastic wrap and kept at room temperature for about 3 to 4 days. It’s a little more light and fluffy when it’s fresh, and it tasted a little more like store bought bread later in the week which makes it perfect for sandwiches.
You can also freeze one of the loaves for later. You can freeze the whole loaf by wrapping it in plastic wrap them in foil for up to 4 months. Then you thaw the whole loaf at room temperature overnight. Or you can slice the bread up and freeze it already sliced. Then you can just thaw a couple of the slices at a time as needed. You can put the frozen slices in the microwave for 15-20 seconds or in the toaster for a few extra seconds and it will be thawed quickly that way.
I know some people are intimidated by making bread, but lucky for you, this bread recipe is fairy simple. And it’s so delicious.
How to make white bread?
In a large bowl, dissolve your yeast and sugar in warm water. It’s best if done in a stand mixer, but you can also use a hand mixer, or mix by hand if you don’t have one. Add in the butter and stir it in. Add in the salt and two cups of the flour, and stir it till it’s combined. Then add in the rest of the flour 1/2 cup at a time, while stirring the whole time, until you have a nice soft dough. Continue to knead the dough for about 8 minutes.
Roll the dough into a ball, and place the dough into an oiled bowl and cover with greased plastic wrap or a towel. Let it sit in a warm spot. Let the dough rise for about 1 hour until the ball has doubled in size.
Punch the dough down to release the air and separate into two equal sized sections. Shape each section into a loaf of bread as long as your bread pan. Grease your bread pan with nonstick spray and place the loaves in the the prepared pans. Cover the bread pans with a towel and set in a warm spot till the loaf is doubled in size and has risen to about the top of the pan, maybe 30 to 40 minutes.
Preheat the oven while the bread is rising for the last few minutes. Bake the bread in the preheated oven until the top is golden brown. Spread butter over the top of the bread and bake for another 5 minutes. Let the bread cool in the pan for 10 minutes, then remove to a cooling rack to cool completely.
The bread can be enjoyed warm, but if you want nice even slices, the bread will slice better when completely cooled.
You’ll never want to buy bread from the store again after you try this amazing homemade bread. It will fill your kitchen with the best smell ever, and you’ll be slicing it up and serving it with butter or on a sandwich in no time.
This bread is amazing topped with our homemade raspberry and blueberry jam.
Looking for more bread recipes?
Connect with Like Mother, Like Daughter
Be sure to follow us on social media, so you never miss a single post!
Homemade White Bread
- 2 - .25 oz packages active dry yeast (or 4.5 tsp/ 1.5 TBS)
- 3 TBS white sugar
- 2 1/2 cups warm water
- 3 TBS melted butter
- 1 tsp salt
- 6 1/2 cups all purpose white flour
- In a large mixing bowl (a stand mixer is best if you have it) dissolve the yeast and sugar in warm water.
- Add the melted butter into the mixture and stir it in.
- Add in the salt and 2 cups of flour to the yeast mixture. Stir till combined.
- Add 1/2 cup of the flour at a time, while stirring slowly, combining thoroughly after each addition. Until you've added 6 cups of flour total.
- Add more flour 1 TBS at a time as needed till the dough is pulls away from the sides of the bowl. (Mine needed 6 1/4 cups total)
- After all flour has been added and dough pulls from the sides, knead for 8 minutes. (I set the kitchen aid on stir and once the dough pulled from the side I set the timer for 8 minutes)
- Remove from bowl and oil the bowl. Place dough in bowl and roll it in oil to coat.
- Cover with a cloth and allow to rise for about 1 hour, till doubled.
- Punch the dough down to remove the air.
- Divide the dough into two equal halves.
- Roll the dough into loaves
- Place each loaf into a greased 9x5 bread pan.
- Cover and allow to rise for another 30-40 minutes, or until doubled, and dough reaches the top of the bread pan.
- Meanwhile preheat oven to 425 degrees.
- Lower temperature to 375 degrees and bake for 25 minutes.
- Remove loaves from oven, coat the tops with butter.
- Return to the oven and bake for another 5 minutes.
- Remove from oven and allow to cool in pan for 10 minutes.
- Carefully remove from pan and allow to cool completely on a cooling rack.
- Slice up and serve.
This homemade white bread was first published on March 12, 2012. Photos updated on May 15, 2020.