This ice cream sandwich cake is the perfect summer dessert. It’s only 5 ingredients, so easy to make, and kids and adults will love it! It’s easily customizable, and so delicious!
This ice cream sandwich cake is practically cheating, it’s so easy. It’s only 5 store bought ingredients that are all brought together to make one of the easiest dessert recipes you’ll ever make!
This dessert is made from ice cream sandwiches that sandwich additional layers of chocolate ice cream between them. All topped with cool whip, a drizzle of chocolate fudge sauce and chopped Oreos.
It’s easily a favorite for both kids and adults alike. In fact your kids would probably love helping you make up this cake, or at least picking out the flavor of ice cream for the middle, and helping you decide what deliciousness to put on top!
The best part, is this “cake” is no bake, and so easy, and delicious. Perfect for a birthday cake, or serving up at a summer barbecue, or potluck!
Why this Ice Cream Sandwich Cake is really the best?
- The perfect no bake dessert, for keeping the kitchen cool, and cooling down with in the summer time.
- The easiest dessert, with only 5 minutes, and only a few minutes of actual work time.
- Easily customizable to make the cake any flavor, with a variety of ice cream, and topping options.
- And did I mention SO delicious?
This is a quick overview of the ingredients you’ll need for this Ice Cream Sandwich Cake recipe. Specific measurements and full recipe instructions are in the printable recipe card below.
- ice cream sandwiches
- chocolate ice cream – a store bought or homemade chocolate ice cream works, or any favorite ice cream flavor
- cool whip – any brand of whipped topping will work, or using a homemade whipped cream (about 1.5 cups heavy cream whipped up with a little sugar, and vanilla)
- chocolate hot fudge sauce – a homemade or store bought hot fudge
- Oreo cookies – crushed Oreos add a delicious crunchy chocolate layer to the top of the ice cream cake
How to make an Ice Cream Sandwich Cake?
Cover a baking sheet or cutting board in parchment paper or foil.
Lay 5 ice cream sandwiches onto the parchment paper, in a row right next to each other.
Spread half of the ice cream over the top of the ice cream sandwiches.
Repeat with additional layers of ice cream sandwiches, 5 ice cream sandwiches, one more ice cream layer, and one final ice cream sandwich layer.
Wrap the top of the pan in plastic wrap and store the cake in the freezer for at least 4 hours.
Carefully remove the cake from the pan and place it on a large plate or cake stand. Spread cool whip over the top.
Drizzle hot fudge (don’t have it actually be too hot, just warm enough to drizzle) sauce over the top of the cool whip.
Crush Oreos with a food processor, blender, or just by hammering them into pieces in a bag, and sprinkle them evenly over the top of the cake.
Place in the freezer for another 30 minutes, or until you’re ready to serve it. Slice it up carefully and enjoy.
Tips and Tricks:
- Make sure to lay out parchment paper or aluminum foil You’ll need to do this for easy removal of the cake, to add the whipped cream top and sides, and for easy cutting and serving.
- Try using a chocolate whipped cream instead of traditional for an extra chocolate flavor burst.
- To make this ice cream sandwich cake in a bigger container you could use a 9x9inch square pan. You’ll need about 27 ice cream sandwiches for 3 layers (like photographed), 2 quarts of ice cream, and 1.5 containers of cool whip.
- You could also do 2 layers instead of three since this “cake” is quite thick.
- Use a good quality ice cream for the best creamy easy ice cream cake results. I love Tillamook the best.
- I like to slice the cake in thin slices (since it is kind of shaped like a loaf of bread, I cut it like slices of bread). Then cut those each in half to serve more.
- Use Neapolitan ice cream sandwiches instead of vanilla ice cream sandwiches. You could also do a layer of each chocolate, strawberry, and vanilla ice cream for in between the ice cream sandwich layers.
- Use your favorite ice cream flavor in between the ice cream sandwiches. In this recipe I use chocolate ice cream with vanilla ice cream sandwiches, but some other yummy flavor options would be mint chocolate chip ice cream, strawberry ice cream, cookies, and cream ice cream, etc.
- Instead of topping your ice cream sandwich cake with chopped up Oreos, try any of your favorite candy bars. Some yummy options would be M&Ms, Reeses’ Pieces, chopped up Snickers, Reeses Cups, Milky Way, Kit Kat, etc. Sprinkles would be fun too.
- Try adding caramel sauce in addition, or instead of the hot fudge sauce on top of the cake.
How to store leftovers?
You can make this ice cream sandwich cake ahead of time by storing it wrapped in the pan in the freezer (before adding the whipped cream “frosting”) for up to 1 month. Top it with the whipped cream, chocolate sauce, and Oreo pieces when you’re ready, or almost ready to serve it.
If you have any leftovers after serving, you can wrap the individual slices in plastic wrap and store them in the freezer for up to 4 days.
This amazing and simple ice cream sandwich cake will be your go to easy dessert this summer. It’s the perfect cool treat on a hot summer day!
More ice cream treats:
- Ice Cream Cake
- Ice Cream Pie
- Mint Chip Ice Cream Pie
- Butterfinger Ice Cream Cake
- Snickerdoodle Ice Cream Sandwiches
Connect with Like Mother, Like Daughter
Be sure to follow us on social media, so you never miss a single post!
Ice Cream Sandwich Cake
- 15 vanilla ice cream sandwiches (unwrapped)
- 1 Quarts chocolate ice cream
- 8 oz cool whip (or 3 cups homemade whipped cream)
- 3 TBS chocolate hot fudge sauce
- 8 Oreo cookies
- Remove the chocolate ice cream from the freezer to soften for about 15 to 20 minutes.
- Lay out some parchment paper or foil on a baking sheet or cutting board.
- Lay 5 ice cream sandwiches together on the sheet.
- Spread half the ice cream evenly over the top of the ice cream sandwiches. Let it freeze for about 20 minutes if the ice cream is getting too melted.
- Lay another layer of 5 ice cream sandwiches, followed by the remaining ice cream, and the final layer of ice cream sandwiches.
- Cover the pan in plastic wrap and freeze for at least 2 to 4 hours, up to overnight.
- Carefully lift the cake off the parchment paper and place it onto a large plate or cake dish.
- Spread the cool whip evenly over the sides and top of the cake.
- Warm up hot fudge chocolate just enough to spread it, and drizzle it over the top of the cool whip topping.
- Chop up Oreos with a food processor, or blender, knife, or hammered in a ziptop bag. Sprinkle evenly over the top of the cake.
- Return the cake to the freezer for 30 minutes, then slice and serve.