Lentil Tacos make a delicious hearty and flavorful meal that are great for vegetarians and meat eaters alike! Top them with your favorite taco fillings and they will be a family favorite!
**I was asked by Ignite Social Media to participate in the #LentilsForTheSoul campaign, sponsored by Lentils.org. Although I have been compensated, all opinions are my own.
These lentil tacos are seasoned with your typical taco ingredients, a little onion, garlic, chili powder, and cumin. Instead of using ground beef, which you won’t even miss, these tacos are vegetarian, vegan (if you leave off the cheese) made with lentils, and so delicious.
Growing up tacos have always been a comfort food for me. Some might typically think of beef stew, or chicken noodle soup when you think of comfort food, but I think of spaghetti and tacos. My mom had a bit of a weekly rotation of delicious foods she always made for dinner, and those two always seemed to find their way into the mix. I still think of my childhood when I have them.
These lentil tacos are a delicious substitute for the ground beef, carne asada, or chicken you might typically find in your tacos, but you won’t miss those with these yummy tacos!
Top them with any of your favorite taco toppings, and you will love these lentil tacos for taco Tuesday, or any day of the week!
Lentils might be new to many of you, but let me tell you why they should become a pantry staple!
- Lentils are packed full of protein and fiber. They are also a great source of minerals like potassium, iron, and folate. They are nutrient dense, low in fat, and great for your heart.
- Lentils can be used in a great variety of recipes, more than just soups and curries, but they are great in breakfast, salads, desserts, and even tacos 😉
- Lentils are a great budget friendly option. Only a couple dollars for a bag of them that you can make a few different meals with!
For the Lentils and Rice:
- 1/2 TBS olive oil
- 1/2 cup diced onion
- 1/2 TBS minced garlic
- 4 cups water (beef or vegetable stock can be subbed.)
- 3/4 cup dry lentils
- 3/4 cup brown rice
- 2 tsp chili powder
- 1 tsp cumin
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 12 small flour or corn tortillas
- diced tomatoes
- diced green onions
- chopped lettuce
- shredded cheese (optional)
To Make the Lentils and Brown Rice:
- Heat olive oil in a pot over medium heat.
- Stir in the onion and garlic and cook until the onion is softened and fragrant, about 5 minutes.
- Pour in the water, lentils, brown rice, chili powder and cumin.
- Bring mixture to a boil.
- Lower heat to a simmer and cook until rice and lentils are tender and water is absorbed, about 45 minutes.
- Stir salt into lentil and brown rice mixture.
To Assemble the Tacos:
- Scoop a spoonful or two of lentils and rice into a small tortilla.
- Top with your favorite taco toppings, cheese, diced tomatoes, cilantro, etc.
Here are 10 more comfort food recipes made with lentils that I think you will love!!
Vegan Lentil Chili on Peas and Crayons
Lentil Shepherd’s Pie on Delish Knowledge
Lentil Enchilada Casserole on The Wanderlust Kitchen
Vegan Sloppy Joes on Minimalist Baker
Slow Cooker German Lentil Soup with Sausage on Five Heart Home
Warm Winter Salad with Rice and Lentils on Avocado Pesto
Slow Cooker Ethiopian Chicken and Lentil Stew on Sweet Peas and Saffron
Skillet Lentil Brownies on Emilie Eats
Peanut Butter Oatmeal Chocolate Chip Lentil Blondies on Ambitious Kitchen