I love shrimp. It is one of my favorite foods. I enjoy it battered and fried with shrimp cocktail sauce, I find it delicious grilled with a little seasoning and as part of a pasta dish or salad or taco. I often will order a shrimp dish if it is on the menu at almost any restaurant. One of my treats is shrimp tacos from Pedros Tacos here in Fallbrook. Initially I have been afraid to cook with shrimp myself but since I discovered frozen deveined shrimp at Costco it has removed my fear and opened up a whole new dimension to my recipes. Recently I found a recipe that allowed me to make shrimp tacos that even rival Pedros Tacos and I think are one step healthier.
- 12 frozen shrimp, defrosted and tail removed
- ½ tsp Old Bay Seasoning
- 1 tsp cayenne pepper, divided
- salt and pepper to taste
- 6 oz plain Greek yogurt
- ¼ cup chopped cilantro
- 2 Tbs. fresh lime juice
- ¼ a head of cabbage, thinly sliced and chopped
- 4 corn tortillas
- olive oil
- grated cheese (optional)
- Mix to your Greek yogurt; the cilantro, lime juice, ½ tsp cayenne pepper and a dash of salt. Set aside in fridge to blend flavors.
- Heat corn tortillas on a dry skillet over medium heat until brown spots appear, flip and do the same for the other side. Store on a warm plate or in a tortilla warmer to keep until ready to eat. Repeat with all 4 corn tortillas.
- Cut shrimp into thirds; sprinkle with cayenne pepper, salt and pepper and Old Bay Seasoning
- Heat olive oil (about 1 TBS) in a medium skillet. Add shrimp to skillet and cook thoroughly. This takes just a few minutes until the shrimp have turned white throughout.
- Build your taco. I like spreading the sauce over the body of the corn tortilla, adding the cabbage and than the shrimp with a sprinkle of grated cheddar cheese.
6. Eat and enjoy especially if you like shrimp tacos.
This recipe is so simple and quick which makes it double wonderful.