These mini cherry pies are such a fun summer dessert! With only four ingredients, they’re easy, and they’re the perfect adorable bite sized treat.
With Fourth of July around the corner, I figured these mini cherry pies are the perfect treat to share with you today!
Summer desserts should almost always be fruity, right? And what’s more summery than a cherry pie? These mini cherry pies might be even better than a regular cherry pie because they’re just so dang adorable. And aren’t the start patterns on top so perfect for the Fourth of July?!
These pies are so easy to make with only 4 or 5 ingredients, and would be such a great treat to take to a Fourth of July Barbecue, or a summer potluck, or any summer party really.
Although these mini cherry pie bites are so perfect for summer, they’d also be a fun option for Thanksgiving, Christmas, Valentine’s Day, Easter, etc.
- premade pie crust – you can make your own pie crust, or use store bought. I always use store bought for these to keep them easy.
- cherry pie filling – you can use homemade cherry pie filling, or canned from the store.
- egg – to make an egg wash and give the tops of the pies a perfect golden color.
- coarse sugar (optional) – this adds just a nice sweet crunch to the top of the pies, also a nice sparkle, but it’s totally optional.
How to make Mini Cherry Pies?
Roll out your pie crusts, and cut out 2.5 inch circles using a round cookie cutter, or cup top.
Place each circle into a greased mini muffin tin spot, and press them down into the shell to the bottom and sides. A little overlap of the crust at the top is okay. Re-roll out the crust as needed to fill each of the muffin tin spots.
Put two to three cherries from the cherry pie filling can into each mini pie.
Cut out top crusts for the pies from the remaining pie crust. You’ll want them to be about 1.5 inches wide. You can cut the tops into stars, hearts, lattices, etc. I cut out stars, and 1.5 inch circles, with a little star part taken away from the center, and three mini stars, to give options. I used the star piece of a linzer cookie set for the tiny stars, but the smallest two sizes of these cookie cutters would work great too.
Mix the egg and a couple tablespoons of water together in a small bowl, then brush the mixture over the top of the pies. You’ll have a lot extra, so just discard it. Sprinkle the tops with coarse sugar if desired.
Bake the mini pies until the crust is nice and golden, about 25 minutes. Let the pies cool for a few minutes, then transfer them to a cooling rack to cool completely, or enjoy them after another few minutes warm. You can top them with a little dollop of whipped cream if desired.
Tips and Tricks:
- I made these super tiny with a mini muffin tin, making the pie crust from a 2.5inch piece piece, and the top crust with a 1.5inch piece. You can also make them with a regular muffin tin, so you’ll cut out pieces to be 3.5 to 4inch for the bottom crust.
- Instead of canned cherry pie filling, you can use your favorite choice of pie filling. I think blueberry, or raspberry would be extra yummy. (Some pie fillings may need the fruit pieces cut into smaller pieces to fit in the pie crust shell.
- You can skip adding the pie crust on top of the pies if you want to save some steps.
How to store leftovers?
These mini cherry pies can be stored in a container with a lid at room temperature for up to 2 days. After that the crust will start to soften too much.
These cherry pies are so simple to make, and dangerously easy to eat. You can just pop one, or two, or three in your mouth. They’re the perfect bite sized treat. You can also top them with whipped cream, for an even more decadent dessert.
More cherry recipes:
- Mini Cherry Cheesecakes
- Black Forest Poke Cake
- Cherry Chocolate Chip Ice Cream
- Cherry Almond Cookies
Connect with Like Mother, Like Daughter
Be sure to follow us on social media, so you never miss a single post!
Mini Cherry Pies
- 2 refrigerated premade pie crusts
- 21 oz can cherry pie filling
- 1 egg
- 2 TBS water
- 2 TBS coarse sugar (optional)
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Roll out the 2 pie crust onto a lightly floured or non stick surface. Cut circles out of the pie crust using a 2.5 inch cookie cutter, or cup.
- Place each circle in a mini muffin spot and press down into the cup bottom and edges.
- Put 2-3 cherries, plus a little filling into each pie cup.
- Cut stars, or other pie crust toppings out of the remaining pie crust with 1.5 inch cookie cutters or just using a knife, and place them on top of the pies. Re-roll the remaining pie crust out and cut it as needed.
- Add the egg and water to a small bowl and whisk together.
- Using a silicone brush, and spread egg wash over the top of each pie.
- Sprinkle the coarse sugar over the tops of the pies if desired.
- Place the pan in oven and bake for about 25 minutes until crust is golden.
- Allow the pies to cool for about 5 minutes in the pan, then transfer them to a cooling rack to cool completely, or cool for another 5 minutes and enjoy mini pies warm.
- Top with whipped cream if desired.
These mini cherry pies were first posted on June 15, 2015. The photos and text were updated for clarity on June 20, 2022.